Adaptation of solar charging circuit. Exchange current dump?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by retched, Jan 15, 2010.

1. retched

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Many of the popular solar or wind turbine battery chargers have an odd thing in common to me. They use a heating element for a "dummy load" for when the batteries are fully charged or need maintaining. I was wondering why grid users wouldn't hook an inverter as a "dummy load" dumping the excess power into the grid?

Heat is waste.

That way, not only are you saving power by using your natural resources, but when your peaked out, you could easily help your neighbors (and your power bill further) by dumping the load into the grid. This will also help offset any on-grid cost you are incurring for items not being powered by the battery bank.

Ci? No?

2. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    The heating element referred to by most of these, is a heating element in a water heater, it is used to supplement the water heaters supply with prewarmed or heated water so the "on-Grid" water heater does not have to consume so much grid power to heat up the water to a set temperature.

But I have seen some where they just dump it into a bank of lights or some other form of "load" which is wasteful.

3. retched

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    That would be good to. However I have yet to see that application. I have seen "dissipating loads" that are heater cores in oil or water for reliability while using it for diversion.

For instance: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150375465807

Look at what this THROWS AWAY:
    This Diversion Center consists of twelve - 2 ohm resistors. Each 2 ohm resistor will dissipate 7.25 amps at 14.5 volts. This is 105 watts/resistor. 12 resistors in parallel will dissipate 1260 watts at 14.5 volts (87 Amps)

Stated that it can be used for a "radiator" or a dummy load for solar systems when batteries are full. A little further reading into the lives of the purchasers, they use these to disconnect or divert power from their wind turbines or solar arrays to service their banks.