Actuator load value

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by charlie_za, Dec 21, 2010.

1. charlie_za

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Hi everybody,

I have to connect some replacement loads to a ECU to simulate their actuators, because I haven't got the real actuators.
    I know that their loads can be represented by a inductance + resistence in series.
    What are the typical values for actuators load like VGT, or valves like exhaust flap? I can't find nothing on internet.

Thanks!

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Can you say more about the ultimate usage? We have a restrictive policy about automotive advice -

3. Jaguarjoe

Apr 7, 2010
    Actuators and relays which operate on DC are pretty much resistive loads until they turn off. When current is suddenly removed from a coil (or inductor) a huge back emf spike is generated. This spike needs to be suppressed.

Anyhow, measure the resistance of the coil, calculate the wattage required and buy that value of resistance but at 2X or 3X the wattage.

When things like charge time for fuel injectors or ignition coils is important then inductance becomes a controlling factor.

4. charlie_za

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Hi beenthere,

I'm a software engineer and I'm building a system to test my ECU software.
    I need to connect some loads to prevent some errors (e.g. open load) and to have a correct current measurement.

Do you think this could be discussed?

Thanks.