Actual physical differences between 2.5w & 5w laser modules

Jimbojumbo

Joined Feb 19, 2016
Good evening Gentlemen
I have been asked a question by my neighbour that I am struggling to answer.

He has bought one of those Chinese laser engravers - the 2500mW one - and wants to know what physical differences there are between the 2.5w and the 5w - i.e. is it possible to cheaply convert his to a higher output without changing the entire laser module?

I waffled a bit then admitted defeat - I just don't know, but I know you guys on here will have an answer.

George

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I believe what this comes down to is the actual LASER module having the LASER Diode has a rating. That is to say for a given rated voltage it will draw a given current resulting in a power rating. You can't increase the supply voltage over its rating and even with a larger current source the LASER module will only draw its rated current. With that in mind then no, we can't make a 2.5 Watt LASER into a 5.0 Watt laser because it is what it is. If I have a 120 Volt Incandescent 100 Watt light bulb and I apply 240 Volts I have not made a 200 watt light bulb is my best explanation.

Ron

Jimbojumbo

Joined Feb 19, 2016
Thanks for the reply, Ron. If I read you correctly the only?/main difference is the actual laser diode itself? If he could get a higher output laser diode he could (theoretically) replace the 2.5 watt one and the board would just function the same, except with a higher output?

I have looked at pictures of laser modules from 1w to 5w and the small onboard controller appears to be the same in each case.

I would be interested to see just the small control boards side by side to examine component values.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
If he could get a higher output laser diode he could (theoretically) replace the 2.5 watt one and the board would just function the same, except with a higher output?
No. If Ron could get a 240 volt light bulb, could he just plug it into a 120 volt power source and have double the light?
If I put gasoline in a diesel engine will it go faster?
(The pieces will, until they land somewhere.:D)

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Thanks for the reply, Ron. If I read you correctly the only?/main difference is the actual laser diode itself? If he could get a higher output laser diode he could (theoretically) replace the 2.5 watt one and the board would just function the same, except with a higher output?

I have looked at pictures of laser modules from 1w to 5w and the small onboard controller appears to be the same in each case.

I would be interested to see just the small control boards side by side to examine component values.
In the case of a LASER the controller is mated to the LASER and the LASER and controller to the power supply. Now in some cases the same controller can be used and in other cases nope. Things get sort of married to each other. I can't say for sure that getting a 5 Watt LASER diode will work just fine with the existing controller (driver) so I won't stick my neck out on that note. Without actually seeing things and more important seeing data sheets and components what I will say is this. The best way to have a five watt LASER system is to buy a 5 Watt LASER system where the power supply, controller (driver circuit) and the LASER Diode (or LASER tube) are all correctly mated including the heat sinking for the higher current (wattage).

Ron

Jimbojumbo

Joined Feb 19, 2016
Thanks for the input, guys. I now have the full picture and can give that to my neighbour. (I think that he will just go ahead and buy a complete 5w module when funds allow)

Great forum, this.

George