Acid lost from 2 batteries

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Damien, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Damien

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 6, 2007
    While repairing body damage on my wifes mobility scooter i discovered the batteries were lead acid & not gel like mine and didn't like being tilted at 90 deg and lost around a cup full to the concrete floor, can i buy i buy new electrolyte or is it ok to use electrolyte from old car batteries ?
    Any and all help greatly appreciated.
    Regards Damien.

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Ouch!

Use baking soda mixed w/water to neutralize the acid that got spilled.

I would use fresh electrolyte.

But I would immediately get those batteries outside, as they generate oxygen and hydrogen gas when they're in use and while being charged. Not safe for indoors.

Get her some new gel cels.

3. Damien

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Thanks Sgt.
    I just checked the electrolyte level in both batteries & in all 12 cells the plates are still covered so i'll try to get some ready mixed electrolyte to top them up. At the current cost of batteries i really don't want to scrap them.
    Regards Damien.

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    The plates only need to be covered. John

5. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Well, you must do what you must.

I suggest that you keep a couple of windows open to vent the gasses when you're charging it, or charge it outdoors.

Note that you should only use the fresh electrolyte to top off after electrolyte has actually been spilled out. Don't use it as a regular top-off, or the acid solution will become far too concentrated, and the battery life will be short.