Accidental Live Anthrax Shipped

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm surprised only that the news got out. Something must have happened to let the cat out of the bag, and they couldn't keep it a secret any longer. Or was this a subtle message to remind someone of what is in our arsenal?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
It probably was .... I can not confirm or deny anthrax was shipped via FedEx.

or If I tell you, I have to kill you.

I second the happiness that no one was hurt.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
Somewhat on topic: I worked for a few weeks at Dugway a while back. As I drove to my job each day we drove past a building that had a fence around the building. The fence had signs on it that said something to the affect of "Unauthorized Access will be Greeted with Deadly Force". When I asked what that was all about I was told that was where they stored biological and chemical weapons. Personally, I'd be much more worried about biological and chemical weapon storage near me than nuclear waste. They've had live Anthrax stored there for decades, I'd suspect.

Another somewhat on topic: During the Anthrax scare after 9/11 (Is that when it was?), my coworker - that sat next to me - received a package with white dust in it. Security locked down our building and quarantined us until they determined it wasn't anthrax. I worked in a 'national treasure' type place that would be considered a big win for 'terrorists' at the time.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
last time I saw a "No Trespassing, Deadly force Authorized" sign, I was on Seneca Army Depot. No need to go past those fences to test the guards.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
We had a few goof-ball signs printed for us once. I seem to remember one had something like this.

'No Trespassing, Experimental brain surgery authorized'

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
http://www.christiantoday.com/artic...o.labs.in.9.states.south.korea.base/54846.htm

Dugway, is only around 1/2 hr away from me. This incident makes me feel so secure when they say they wan't to transport and store High-level Nuclear Waste here too?

http://www.deq.utah.gov/Pollutants/H/highlevelnw/opposition/concerns/concerns.htm

kv
A couple of times B-52s have flown over the U.S. with a live nuke hanging on the wing that was supposed to be an inert casing. Now THAT scares me! How do you accidentally hang a nuke on a bomber when it's not supposed to have one? What happens if that mistake gets made on an aircraft that is going on a training mission and will actually drop that (supposedly) inert bomb? In actuality, my guess is that nothing super bad would happen because of the whole arming process that would not take place and they'd just have to go pick up a badly banged up nuke from the ground on the range (and I'm guessing that they WOULD make an exception and go pick it up -- usually once something hits the range floor it transforms into "leverite", as in you will leverite where you found it!).

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm surprised only that the news got out. Something must have happened to let the cat out of the bag, and they couldn't keep it a secret any longer. Or was this a subtle message to remind someone of what is in our arsenal?
The military is actually fairly open about airing such things. Not absolutely open, by any means. A lot depends on the mindset of the chain of command nearest the incident, and not surprisingly that is rather diverse.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Because of the magic word "Anthrax"
these posting will be archived forever. Is there anything you want to tell your great-great-grandkids.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I've suggested that how we can handle our nuclear waste problem is to just have each facility ship their waste to themselves via USPS. In a very short time it will all disappear without a trace.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
I've suggested that how we can handle our nuclear waste problem is to just have each facility ship their waste to themselves via USPS. In a very short time it will all disappear without a trace.
Also if they insure it, they could actually make money on the deal.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Because of the magic word "Anthrax"
these posting will be archived forever. Is there anything you want to tell your great-great-grandkids.
I never even thought of this?

Hi, Grandkids love you.

To my wife: the life insurance won't last for ever; so kick that bum out.

Grampa, kv