Accessing custom symbols in either TINA or LTSpice

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by WBahn, Dec 14, 2013.

1. WBahn

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 31, 2012
    I've figured out how to create a custom symbol in both TINA and LTSpice, but I can't figure out how to access them so that I can add them to a schematic. In the case of TINA I have a new .DDB file and in the case of LTSpice I have a new .ASY file.

Anyone know how to access them so that the symbols can be used?

2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    LTSpice: either put the .asy in the same (work) directory as the .asc where they are instantiated, or put them in C:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceIV\lib\sym, or in a subdirectory of ..\sym (you can make your own if you like).
    When placing yournew component, you will either find it amongst the normal list of default symbols (if you put it in ..\sym, or one of the sublists like [misc] or wherever you placed it. If the .asy is in the work directory, then when placing a component, use the pull-down list at the top of the dialog box to select the work directory instead of ..\sym

See the figure below:

• sym.jpg
      sym.jpg
      File size:
      84.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  3. WBahn

Thread Starter Moderator

Mar 31, 2012
    Thanks!

Do you have a reference (preferably on-line, but I'm not too picky) that has that, and other, information. I'm less than impressed with the documentation that comes with either package or any others that I've been able to find so far.