Accelerometer to microphone

susannah

Joined Feb 14, 2010
What different ways there is to record 3-axis accelerometer-data using small hardware?

I need to track small about 1mm changes for 24hrs.

What if i use analog output accelerometer-sensor and plug it directly to microphone port of mp3-player, does that work?

Since it is analog 3-axis, does that mean that there is 3 different output wires?*Do i need some extra components between accelerometer and mic-port to change frequency or something for each 3 wires?

I need to get this data eventually to computer, but i think if i could use small mp3-player as memory, then it would be easier to make this happen.

Thanks

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Your MP3 recorder only has two channels, as does a computer sound card. If you really need all three axes, you will have come up with a multichannel Data Aquisition Card for a PC. Besides, you probably need to record DC, which an MP3 recorder, nor a sound card can do.

What sample rate do you need?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You could modulate the 3 axis before recording.
At playback demodulate to gain the original 3 axis.

Greetings,
Bertus

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Also remember that a sound card is AC coupled and made for sound. They filter out low frequencies below about 10-15 Hz and they have upper cut off around 20 Khz. I guess the same will apply to the MP3 player. You need proper data aquistions equipment for this.

susannah

Joined Feb 14, 2010
Your MP3 recorder only has two channels, as does a computer sound card. If you really need all three axes, you will have come up with a multichannel Data Aquisition Card for a PC. Besides, you probably need to record DC, which an MP3 recorder, nor a sound card can do.

What sample rate do you need?
Thanks.I could try 2 channels first if that makes it easier.Atleast 100 times per second. But the more the better.

susannah

Joined Feb 14, 2010
So using mic-port is bad idea?

How i can do this?

It needs to be standalone hardware, which i later on plug to computer and move data to there.

Thanks

susannah

Joined Feb 14, 2010
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1623

Even better. Uses external SD memory. and USB for unloading. Also had 8 channel for under $60.
Now this is exactly what i was looking for. Thanks guys!

What formula calculates how much memory let say logging 3 axis for 24hrs and 100 samples per second takes?

And how long 1300 mAh battery lasts?

Are there any Mac friendly data loggers like this? How Mac friendly this is?

How easy for newbie it is to put accelerometer and data logger like this together? Do i need to do any programming?

Thanks again

susannah

Joined Feb 14, 2010
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1623

Even better. Uses external SD memory. and USB for unloading. Also had 8 channel for under $60.
Now this is exactly what i was looking for. Thanks guys!

Are there any Mac friendly data loggers like this?

How easy for newbie it is to put accelerometer and data logger like this together? Do i need to do any programming?