Accelerometer (or something else) to detect rotary oscillations

vaka85

Joined Aug 21, 2014
Hi all,

I have a rotating disk and I want to detect if it starts to oscillate.
The only solution to me seems to be a wireless accelerometer, but the problem here is the battery.. In my application I cannot change the battery every month, it should work for some years..I was not able to find any wireless accelerometer with these characteristics..

Or maybe I need a way to transfer power to the rotating disk, without slip-rings... maybe I can use magnetic induction in some way to create power on the rotating part to power the sensor?

Or, if you have any other idea to detect oscillations of the profile, you are welcome ;)

thank you

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Are the oscillations caused by out-of-balance conditions? or somthing else?

It's hard to visualize what kind of 'oscillations' you are talking about- please elaborate.

vaka85

Joined Aug 21, 2014
yes sorry.
If an heavy weight is placed on the rotating disk in the wrong way, it doesn't rotate anymore on a straigth plane (perpendicular to its axis), but it starts to oscillate. As you said, is a sort of out-of-balance oscillation...

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
The typical solution is a 'vibration sensor' mounted on the bearing housing, no need to spin the sensor.
Out-of-balance conditions create big forces on the bearings, which transmit through to the never-totally-rigid support structure, causing easily detectable vibrations.

vaka85

Joined Aug 21, 2014
The oscillations are not so big.. maybe some centimeters of displacement.. I'm not sure that all the structure could receive useful vibrations...

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The oscillations are not so big.. maybe some centimeters of displacement.. I'm not sure that all the structure could receive useful vibrations...
The aircraft prop balancers I referred you to do not measure displacement; they measure acceleration.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
what is the deisk made of? if it is a ferrous metal, use a coil to pickup induced voltages from oacilations. if non ferrous conductive metal, use a coil wrapped around a magnet to pick up the oscilations.

vaka85

Joined Aug 21, 2014
it's ferrous metal.
Good idea... but how to discriminate between voltage induced by the normal rotation and the one due to the oscillations?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Would it be possible to mount a code band around the perimeter of disc, read by two photo reflective detectors? Multiple strips with alternating white & black markings, with each strip from center with decreasing spacing so that if disc is flat, sensors would read a constant frequency. With a little wobble sensors would read F1, F2+, F1, F2-. With increasing wobble more frequencies would be read. ??

vaka85

Joined Aug 21, 2014
your idea is brilliant Bernard, but all the optical solutions could not be used, because of the possible dirt on the sensors/disk..

The idea of the coils could be interesting, but I don't understand how to detect voltage induced by the displacement and not only the one induced by the normal use rotation...

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Can you make a drawing of the setup and how and where you expect the inbalance?
Could you use a magnet in the naberhood and a hall sensor?
In the axis would move in front of the magnet and the hall sensor is behind the axis, changes in movement of the axis should be seen by the hall sensor.

You could have a look in this PDF for more information on the hall sensors and their possibilities:
http://educypedia.karadimov.info/library/hallbook.pdf

Bertus

Last edited:

vaka85

Joined Aug 21, 2014
here it is the drawing.
rot.jpg
I think that near the axis there is not so much space, so I prefer to stay away from it. Even because I think that the displacement are bigger at the edge of the disk and so easier to detect..

vaka85

Joined Aug 21, 2014
yes, it's ferromagnetic material..

But if I put the hall sensor on the base, it detects both the movement due to the usual rotation and the ones due to the oscillations, right? How can I discriminate them?