AC Voltmeter

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Well I was thinking of two possibilities for active attenuators.

Firstly using a negative feedback amp with suitable arrangement of feedback.
There are practical limits to this, but it can be done.
Since the amp must be inverting it needs a common emitter stage. The gain of a common emitter stage is approximately beta times the load reisitance divided by the source resistance. So we make the source resistance high by adding a series resistor.

The second way is to use an emitter/cathode/source follower (common collector) and split the emitter resistor, tapping off the attenuated voltage as shown.

Of course there is a whole variety of passive attenuator networks such as T, H or pi networks, that are available, but I am not sure if these are acceptable.
In these terms your reisitive divider is called an L pad network.

Attachments

olvine

Joined Mar 10, 2014
I have also found this circuit,attached below, in a document from TI. Now the question is Can we input high voltage signals to these active components ? e.g, To op-amp ?

And m really grateful for your help.

Attachments

olvine

Joined Mar 10, 2014
Of course there is a whole variety of passive attenuator networks such as T, H or pi networks, that are available, but I am not sure if these are acceptable.
In these terms your reisitive divider is called an L pad network.
Yes they are available but they are not acceptable because what if we get the noise in AC lines then we would get error in our readings so we need to compensate the inductive effects and every other possibility.