AC Voltage Regulator (Matlab)

Gatesy

Joined Nov 11, 2009
Hello all im currently working on building an AC voltage regulator where by i can control the voltage output, namley voltage amplitude, by adjusting the timing of the gate pulses of the switching device ( i have tried Thyristors, IGBT) the timing of each pulse is determined by the firing angle input into the pulse generator which determins when in the sinusodial cycle each thyristor is "opened".

so far im having very little luck i have created a model that i have some control of the voltage but nothing significant. the plan is to use the regulator to control the speed of an induction motor.

im either looking for help in the form of a working model or possibly a transfer function or some method of mathmatically representing the regulator.

Edit: i forgot to mention that i am building the model in Matlab (simulink)

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
the plan is to use the regulator to control the speed of an induction motor.
Controlling the speed of induction motors by varying the applied voltage does not work well. This does work well with so-called universal motors, but to control an induction motor, you need to vary the frequency of the applied AC and the voltage at the same time.

Have a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-frequency_drive