AC voltage doubler ?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Externet, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Externet

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
    Is there any circuitry that can double (or triple) AC voltage using no transformer ?

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Such circuits would be highly frowned upon around here. Far too many "n00bs" may be tempted to experiment with it, and mains power is nothing for n00bs to play with.

A transformer is required to safely isolate the circuit from the mains; even just a 1:1 isolation transformer will limit the current present.

That being said, there are voltage doubler, tripler and quadroupler circuits on this page:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electronic/voldoub.html

But don't try to power them straight from the mains.

3. Externet

Nov 29, 2005
    Thanks, Sgt.
    No mains involved at all; I mean AC in ; AC out. 12AC to 24AC or 36AC.

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    OK, those will do it for you - "sort of".

A voltage doubler will reduce the available current by more than half, and it won't be quite double the voltage either (due to the Vf of the diodes used).

A voltage tripler will reduce the available current by more than 2/3, and the Vf of the diodes will become more pronounced in the losses.

A flyback topology inverter is a good alternative to using voltage doublers/triplers. Not as simple, but arguably more efficient.
    Ronald Dekker's "Flyback Converters for Dummies" is a great tutorial; well worth a few read-throughs:
    http://www.dos4ever.com/flyback/flyback.html

5. Externet

Nov 29, 2005
    Those do use transformers, and do not output AC :(

6. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    My brain must be off completely today. :rolleyes:

None of those voltage doubler/tripler/quadrupler circuits I mentioned will do it for you; the output will be DC.