AC to DC

ols1570

Joined Dec 3, 2013
Hello everyone

I have a source 650V 1.2A 50Hz. Half bridge. I want to make it full DC straight line with capacitors filter. Any idea how to make it?

Thank you

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
This all sounds horribly dangerous if you're messing with 650V and are having to ask these questions. Is your source 650V AC (rms) or DC? Is it isolated?

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
You have NOT specified enough information to guesstimate all of the specifications for a filter capacitor. For instance...
1. What is the load current?
2. What is an acceptable amount of ripple?
3. Is the source voltage given in RMS or peak?

I will tell you it will be near impossible to have "full DC straight line" (whatever that is - I can only guess what you really mean) if you have any load.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Hello everyone

I have a source 650V 1.2A 50Hz. Half bridge. I want to make it full DC straight line with capacitors filter. Any idea how to make it?

Thank you
Without any load just about any capacitor will make a "straight line" voltage, with just a bit of variation due to the leakage of the cap itself, and some more due to the measurement device itself.

If you draw any current at all you need to jump to an infinite cap to see the same stellar straight line.

Sorry, that's the physics mate. To make a straight line with load you need post regulation, some circuit that will regulate to some lower voltage then the maximum or even minimum voltage of the cap.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I don't see how this thread is not about a "transformer-less power supply". Maybe it would get closed faster if he said he was doing it in his car.

Mike33

Joined Feb 4, 2005
I used to get zero volts, too, when I'd put a 10 ohm resistor on a 5 volt transformer meant to output something like 50mA ;)

Seems there is much more to learn, OLS! Take it one step at a time, and not at high voltages, please....