AC SSR Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakeECET109

Joined Apr 10, 2008
RE SSR:
The lamp doesn't get connected across the two AC terminals, it gets connected in series with one of them. Following electrical standards one AC terminal should be connected to AC "Hot" (black). One leg of lamp (black) gets connected to the other AC terminal and the other leg of the lamp (white) gets connected to AC "Neutral".
Ohh, I have a small lamp I was planning on using. if I cut the word there are going to be three wires? I mistakenly said two terminals but the circuit i am following has 3. I wanted to clarify the safest way of connecting the terminals with the lap itself.

ShakeECET109

Joined Apr 10, 2008
Going to get this board
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102845
I am assuming I wont need any jumper wire to connect my circuit along as i place the parts correctly. Correct? The circuit design is only a traic, 6 pin moc and 2 resistors.

Also getting this AA battery holder.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062253

Do pins 1 & 2 of the moc3010 get soldered to the +, - of the battery holder?

What do I use for my neutral terminal on the AC side. I am still unclear on how to connect the load the to circuit. would I have to change the circuit if I went with a smaller 50VAC load?

ShakeECET109

Joined Apr 10, 2008
This is how I would do it.
I am confused with the AC receptacle side of the image. Are there any projects or youtube videos that show how to add the AC female and AC male plug?

Would I need an AC receptacle, AC male plug and the 2 prong cord from the lamp? Is the lamp the best 115VAC , 1 amp load to use?

I found 115VAC computer fans that are only .21 amps but I am sure I could get away with it in this project.

Something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...d=170625520679&ff4=263602_304652#ht_500wt_922

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
My schematic editor didn't present some of the symbols as I would have liked them, so I had to modify some of them and edit some of the text to my liking. I spent a fair amount of time drawing that circuit. It's straight forward and fully labeled. I don't know how else I can help you.

I certainly am not going to make a video.

ShakeECET109

Joined Apr 10, 2008
No, i mean if ur suggestion is pretty common than I was looking for other people or projects that have done the same thing. The load does not need to be a lamp so I was wondering if that is the most efficient way of doing this.

ShakeECET109

Joined Apr 10, 2008
This is what i meant. Is this close to what u meant?? I dont get the purpose of a fuse of how to use one

<SNIP>

Last edited by a moderator:

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
This is what i meant. Is this close to what u meant?? I dont get the purpose of a fuse of how to use one

<SNIP>
It's the basic concept for the housing but this guy scares me. Read comments below.

Wire and mount 2 receptacles into the cover. The ground and neutral should be jumped. Each hot lug has its own wire. NOTE: you must break the metal tab connecting the hot lugs together; this will allow each plug (2 per receptacle) to be controlled separately.
(For the perfectionists the gray wire should be green. But when I was assembling these units I was out of green wire.)
Never jump neutral to ground! Never use any color other than green for ground!

An additional ground wire going to the metal case can be hooked up if desired.
This is not optional! It's required by US electrical code.

Also, the author has connected more than one conductor to the receptacles 'neutral' screw terminals. This is verboten by US electrical codes. Multiple conductors must be connected with wire nuts or other accepted means.

Last edited by a moderator:

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Where did you find the description?

there are terminals for out and 220v, how do you hook a lamp or a 115VAC fan up to that?
As I said earlier in this thread; I don't feel comfortable with your project. At your level of understanding you should be confined to dry cell or wall wart powered projects. I'm afraid that I can't help you any further.

ShakeECET109

Joined Apr 10, 2008
lol well thanks for the help so far. I am going to get the kit and use that. Its simple enough and I don't have to have the circuit charged to use it. This is the process of learning folks.

No offence, but some of you guys are such nerds lol. Do any of you guys have a EE degree or is it a tech degree?? I am just surprised at how unmotivated and precautions some of you seem.

Thanks for the info guys, good luck in your futures if your not all 90 years old already.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
We just have a ton of first year students with absolutely no knowledge come in here, mainly trying to get us to do their homework. Many haven't a clue what AC main voltage is or how dangerous it can be if not handled correctly.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Famous Quotes:

Unknown: "Don't put the cart before the horse".

Unknown: "You have to crawl before you learn to walk".

CDRIVE: "Never put a gun in the hands of someone who says"..."Where do the bullets go"?

CDRIVE: "Don't test for live mains with your tongue"!

Harry Callahan: "A man's gotta know his limitations".

Josey Wales: "Dy'n ain't much of a liv'n boy".

Unknown: "Hey, watch this"!

Status
Not open for further replies.