AC resistance & Dc resistance

aamirali

Joined Feb 2, 2012
What is diff b/w two.

1. I have a graph showing i-v curve & have to calculate ac resistance at I = 2mA.
& I noted that at I = 2ma, V = 2V.

What should be ac resistance here.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You're having trouble with word definitions. Capacitors and inductors have reactance, resistors have resistance.

If 2 volts causes 2 milliamps, the reactance must be 1000 ohms. I think the math guys call it j1000 or -j1000. I never learned that part because I get along pretty well without it.

Anyway, the voltage applied to the capacitor is a sine wave, and 2V is the RMS value of it. The frequency of the sine wave must be right for the capacitor size to have 1000 ohms of reactance, and the capacitor will only have that amount of reactance at one frequency.

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
caps have capacitance
coils have inductance

AC "resistance" is a function of frequency and is expressed as "impedance" Z (vector sum of pure resistance and reactance in the circuit, where reactance has component values 180 degrees apart, one for capacitance and one for inductance).

keeping in mind, a wire wound resister is pure resistance + inductance in an AC circuit due to the windings, etc.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Capacitors have capacitance.
Inductors have inductance.

Both capacitors and inductors have reactance which are a function of frequency.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
The AC resistance would depend on the slope of the VI characteristic at the nominal DC operating condition.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Oh...it's about an amplifier!
I thought it was about "a graph showing i-v curve".
At least I know more about AC resistance now.

(I learn something almost every day on this site.)

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
In the days before computers the I-V characteristics of a vacuum tube or a transistor were an important design tool. In a common emitter stage it is the bypass capacitor around the emitter resistor that accounts for part of the difference in the AC and DC load lines. It is important to remember that they intersect at the Q-point.