AC powerline monioring, zerro crossing detection

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by iceman529, Mar 6, 2014.

1. iceman529

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Hi I am working on a project analyzing the ac power line and I need to detect the zero-crossing point using an 16bit ADC, is there a smarter/better way of doing this than

if(last_sample==<== adc_average&==&== current_ sample> adc_average)

I sample 128 times per period and I'm calculating the adc_average every period, by using the method above I'm still having some jitter when detecting the zero-crossing.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    A comparator.
  3. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    It's better to do this digitally: drop a transistor next to your power transformer to capture the AC wave and make power line synched pulses.
  4. MaxHeadRoom

Jul 18, 2013
    Check the Fairchild APP note AN-3006, you may be able to adapt that.
  5. iceman529

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I have to use the ADC for doing this so the only way i see it is maybe there a better mathematical solution to my question?
  6. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    Sampling at 128/sec is every ~8mSec, so if the mains frequency is say 50Hz, 20mS, I would expect you would always get jitter when trying to detect zero crossing using this method.

As suggested, a comparator which triggers a MCU interrupt would be the way I would go, you can still process the AC waveform using the ADC.

7. nigelwright7557

May 10, 2008
    I used to do it with 2 resistors as a potential divider into an I/O pin
  8. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Hi Eric, I believe he is sampling 128 times during each mains cycle period?

For the O.P, I think you can use a "debouncing" system to remove any noise artifacts near the zero cross point.

You can use similar code but detect when the ADC has been >avg for X samples (detects / edge), then when it has been <avg for X samples you detected the \ edge.

A more sophisticated system uses a window, and will be safe even when any individual zero-cross is damaged;

The one above I have used many times with excellent result. Because it syncs first, then only tests for the edge during a tiny window, it will negate large errors that occur during any one cycle and give a solid sync even if there is some nasty noise at times.

More mains sync systems are shown on this page (3/4 down the page);