AC powered LED light

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by bosoko, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bosoko

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    Hello, I bought some bright powerful LED's peak-rated at 2W each and I want to run them off AC. I decided against regulator circuits because of the cost and/or complexity (if I were to build one) so I thought of another design using caps for limiting current.

Here's the basic circuit:

As safety precautions I plan to add a fuse before the circuit and MOhm-rated resistors in parallel with caps so there's no residual voltage. The D1 diode is probably redundant, but I put it there with the idea of blocking wrong-way voltage on the LED's.

I haven't built it yet (it works in simulations goo .gl\W0zRi (Falstad's circuit simulation applet)) and I would be happy to receive criticism and warnings before I do build it and it melts my face.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013
  2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
    6. Restricted topics.

The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
    • Automotive modifications
    • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
    • LEDs to mains
    • Phone jammers
    • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
    • Transformer-less power supplies
    This comes from our Tos:
    Terms of Service

Bertus

3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

I have seen your email.
    This is mainly an educational forum, that why we do not allow anything directly connected to the mains.
    If you use a transformer to isolate and reduce the voltage, the circuit may be OK.
    For a led a couple of volts may be enough (depending on the specifications).
    It is never wise to connect leds to AC, as the led can not have a backwards voltage of more than 5 Volts.

Bertus

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

I have seen your email again.
    Why do you insist on using AC for powering leds?
    Better use a DC power supply with the correct current limiting circuit for the led.

Have a look at Bill_Marsdens thread on leds:
    http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=19074

Bertus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.