AC Motor Wireing

garybuska

Joined Aug 12, 2014
I have a AC motor that came out of a cross cut shredder it has four wires coming out of it
they are Red White Blue and Black There is a Capacitor that I think goes across the Blue and Black wires.
This motor can run in either direction How would I hook it up?
Direction is not that important but how would I make it run the other way if I need it to.

Thanks
Gary Buska

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Got any hints, like a brand name or model number of the shredder? Part numbers on the motor? Is it a tiny motor? Is it more like 1/4 HP?

garybuska

Joined Aug 12, 2014
I followed the diagram that you attached and the motor runs like a champ. I may try to use this in my work area as a fan or maybe put a grinding wheel on it as use it as a grinder. From what I can see it looks like it has a built in thermal cutoff wired directly to the coil.
The thing I liked about it best was the fact that it is brush-less. I had even thought about using it for a small wood lathe but being that it is only rated medium I do not think that would be wise. I wired the input through a combo switch circuit breaker that will trip as well just in case.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Caution.. Safety guards (spindle guard, tongue guard, work rest, eye shield,etc..) MUST be added to make it a suitable grinder.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Caution.. Safety guards (spindle guard, tongue guard, work rest, eye shield,etc..) MUST be added to make it a suitable grinder.
Tongue guard? :eek:
Which part is that? Srsly, I thought you meant the same thing as, "work rest".