AC motor brushes

rick ferfoglia

Joined Feb 12, 2015
Drill motor reversing switch is not working. No replacement is available. Would like to eliminate this and the power switch and replace with a simple toggle switch. Question is how to wire the brushes. Does one brush get the hot wire feed (black ) and the other get the neutral (white) or are both brushes hooked up to hot feed (black)
Thanks

Denesius

Joined Feb 5, 2014
Depends on the motor. Direct AC motors are not readily reversible- are you sure the AC is not rectified first? Look at the non-functioning switch and see how its wired: does it have 3 connectors, or 6 (or something else)?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If this is a Hand tool (drill) then it depends on whether portable (DC motor) or AC powered (Universal Motor) the former generally has a conductor to each brush, on the AC, the armature is in series with the field so you would need to identify the previous hook up connection to the motor.
They both have brushes, but one is P.M. , the other wound field.
Max.

rick ferfoglia

Joined Feb 12, 2015
Depends on the motor. Direct AC motors are not readily reversible- are you sure the AC is not rectified first? Look at the non-functioning switch and see how its wired: does it have 3 connectors, or 6 (or something else)?
it has 6 connections, I'd like to bypass that malfunctioning reversing switch and just used it as a one-directional drill however the main trigger has 4 wire contacts... I think I may need to eliminate that too and replace with a simple on off switch the problem how to wire the brushes for this?

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
This is how most small electric drills are wired. The circuit ive drawn doesn't show the cicuit internaly of the drive to the triac as its not important. Perhaps pictures of your drill & controller?ELECTRIC DRILL WIRING.jpg DRILL.1.JPG DRILL SPEED.3.JPG

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It is a case of reversing the field WRT the armature, they run in series, and reversing either the armature or the field winding WRT the other reverses the motor.
Max.