ac motor and limit switches

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by tuke, Feb 9, 2011.

1. tuke

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Hi everyone,
    I need some help as my knowledge is limited in this department. What I'm trying to accomplish is make and egg turner or rocker for an incubator. Picture a kids seesaw with a pivot in the center that rocks up and down. I have a small AC gearmotor reclaimed from a microwave turntable that is attached to a type of cam linkage to make the seesaw go up and down. What I need to know is is it possible to attach a couple of micro switches to stop the motor at the top and bottom of the stroke. This will also be attached to a timer to start at specific times. Any help greatly appreciated. ​

2. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    What is the time between cycles? How long is one cycle?

Ken

3. tuke

Sep 11, 2010
    I would say every 5-6 hrs it would need to start and move to the up or down position.

4. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    How long does take to move from up to down?

Ken

5. tuke

Sep 11, 2010
    Probably in the 20 -30 second range.

6. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Just set the timer for the times you want the motor to start. Have the timer switch off after the minimum time...15 minutes for electromechanical-mechanical and 1 minute for digital timers. Don't know how much current the motor draws, but the limit switches must be able to handle that current.

Ken

7. tuke

Sep 11, 2010
    Ken, thank you that is exactly what I was trying to figure out but my brain and electronics don't get along. I always seem to have massive brain fartage :eek: when it comes to how to connect all the components.
    Thanks again.
    Ed

8. tuke

Sep 11, 2010
    Just and update, I put everything together, ( took a few times as I'm electronic dense ) and it works like champ. I didn't have the 3300 μf cap but scrouged up a 4700 μf and increased the cycle time a little but its still well within the time needed for a full stroke of the rocker.

9. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Great! It's nice to hear back on the success of a project. The 3300uF was just an estimate and depends on the relay's coil resistance and it's drop-out voltage.

Ken