AC mesh analysis with dependent sources

liamv4696

Joined Oct 8, 2014
Alright. I give up. I've been working on question two for 12 out of the last 17 hours and i've got part A.
Vx=10<20°-300,000Ix
That's literally it. Just spent three hours with a fifth year electrical engineering student and he showed me a long tedious was of doing it that we found out gives the wrong answer anyway... So i'm just going to hand in question one.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Alright. I give up. I've been working on question two for 12 out of the last 17 hours and i've got part A.
Vx=10<20°-300,000Ix
That's literally it. Just spent three hours with a fifth year electrical engineering student and he showed me a long tedious was of doing it that we found out gives the wrong answer anyway... So i'm just going to hand in question one.
If you just hand in question one you will probably get a zero, since it is incorrect and should be obvious to you that it is incorrect. Ask if your answer makes sense. What if Ix is equal to zero? What does Vx have to be? What does your answer say that it will be? Does that make sense?

Part (a) can be readily solved in five to seven lines of which the first three are just setting up the equations and the remaining couple is just a bit of algebra. No tricks are needed for this one at all. It should take no more than five to ten minutes, including drawing the diagrams.

Part (b) is actually easier than part (a). First you solve for Ix in terms of Vin, which takes four lines and just a couple of minutes. Then you plug that into the solution from part (a) and you are done.

But since you won't do what I asked you to, I have no idea where you are going wrong.

You can certainly give up if you want. Perhaps you should consider giving up on EE all together and find something that you are more suited for. Not everyone is cut out for EE, just as there are lots of things that any given person is not cut out for. The list of things I am not cut our for is long indeed. You might also consider that instead of seeking help from a fifth year student, you might be better served asking a student that is actually on track to graduate in four.

liamv4696

Joined Oct 8, 2014
Should probably point a few things out. By question one I mean question one, not part A of question two. So i 'd get ~50%. Which is ~100% better than I did last semester on the assignment...

There's no use talking in riddles. I don't understand enough of this to be able to figure it out from a couple of tidbits.

I have given up on electrical. Its a pain in the ass that I won't be using seeing as though i'm majoring in mechanical engineering and going into motorsports afterwards hopefully.

And the reason he's fifth year is because he's doing a double degree, not because he's stupid... He knew a hell of a lot more about electrical than I did at least.

If this question shouldn't take anymore than a couple of minutes then i've got no hope considering the number of times i've attempted it, and the pages of working to go with that.

And if part a isn't Vx=10<20°-300000Ix then that's just confusing because that's what everyone's assignments that I've seen say. Even the tutor in the clinic said it was right. But I see your point.. If voltage is zero then current has to be zero (duh). That never occurred to me

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Should probably point a few things out. By question one I mean question one, not part A of question two. So i 'd get ~50%. Which is ~100% better than I did last semester on the assignment...

There's no use talking in riddles. I don't understand enough of this to be able to figure it out from a couple of tidbits.

I have given up on electrical. Its a pain in the ass that I won't be using seeing as though i'm majoring in mechanical engineering and going into motorsports afterwards hopefully.

And the reason he's fifth year is because he's doing a double degree, not because he's stupid... He knew a hell of a lot more about electrical than I did at least.

If this question shouldn't take anymore than a couple of minutes then i've got no hope considering the number of times i've attempted it, and the pages of working to go with that.

And if part a isn't Vx=10<20°-300000Ix then that's just confusing because that's what everyone's assignments that I've seen say. Even the tutor in the clinic said it was right. But I see your point.. If voltage is zero then current has to be zero (duh). That never occurred to me
Okay, so I take it that Question 1 is referring to something that we are not seeing at all. That's fine. Also, I agree that if someone is double majoring that it is quite understandable for them to take five years even if they are doing well, though "in my time" double majors were generally still expected to graduate on time, usually by using all of their free-electives in one major to satisfy the requirements of the other major and by taking overload schedules. But that wasn't universal even then, by any means, and is far less common today except for people under scholarship restrictions or the like. Though it is still distressing that someone on the verge of getting an EE degree can't solve this problem (which is a sophomore-level Circuits I problem, after all) in a short amount of time and, even more disturbing, recognize that the answer to part (a) is clearly incorrect.

The question (Question #2), as a whole, will take much more than a couple minutes. But each of the first two parts should only take a couple minutes.

I am still more than willing to help you through this problem, but I will not just work it for you. Doing so wouldn't do you any good since you have already seen many problems worked and something is still not clicking. The best -- and frequently about the only -- way to get that 'thing' to click is to fight and struggle with it ourselves with only leading hints or pointers from others.

I'll do the first thing I asked you to do to get us started:

Prob2.png

Now you try to do each of the following as best you can. Don't go beyond what is asked below. Just do this much and let's make sure that is correct before we proceed.

Q1) What is I2 in terms of Ix?

Q2) What is Vx in terms of I3?

Q3) In terms of I2 and I3, what is KVL going around the rightmost mesh?

Q4) As a sanity test, if Ix is positive, do you expect Vx to be positive or negative?