AC Light Wiring

Dalaran

Joined Dec 3, 2009
Very simple question and not sure if it really matters. The plan is to have 2 normal light bulbs connected to a power cord.

Is it best to wire these 2 lights in parallel or in series, or will there be a difference? I assume I'd want to wire in parallel to get the max brightness out of them?

Thanks.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
If you wire them in series, they will get half the supply voltage across them and their brightness will be reduced.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
BillB says that the voltage across the bulbs will be half the supply voltage only if they are the same wattage. This is true, however, their brightness will decrease even if the bulbs are of different wattage.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
The voltage distribution, therefore relative brightness, will be inversely proportional to the wattage, i.e. the lower wattage bulb will see higher voltage. As an example, if a 100W and a 50W lamp were in series, the 50W lamp would see 2/3 of the total voltage. Simple voltage divider. Of course this is not taking the fact that neither lamp is at full operating temperature and exhibiting normal resistance characteristics.