AC-LED circuit problem 1.6V instead of 3

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by smilem, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smilem

Thread Starter Active Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Hi, I'm trying to power a LED for a switch as indicator.
    The switch is 230AC 3 pins, and indicator must be mounted away from the switch.

I have simulated this circuit I found elsewhere and in simulation it works fine, except in real world I get only 1.6V and LED is very dim.

Any ideas? all parts are like in simulator resistors are 1/2W

2. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    Transformer-less LED drivers can be very dangerous. Best to use a cheap wall wart.

3. smilem

Jul 23, 2008
    Yes I know about the dangers.
    Well this is for use as indicator light that an appliance is on (LaserJet printer, YES HP forgot to put ON/OFF switch), I could use neon light but I want to use LED. The LED is better because low voltage at the LED side, and it looks better instead of flickering neon. Besides I already have all parts.

4. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Be aware you can be killed trying this.

Use X1 rated/type caps for fail safe in the event you want to go forward, but a neon lamp would be a better solution.

This thread will be most likely locked due to rules.

5. smilem

Jul 23, 2008
    The wires running to LED are not 230Volts so it's safer than having a neon lamp with 230V am I not correct? Everything will be encased inside a printer, if you did not know printers run on 230V so it will not be more dangerous putting this led inside than it already is.

But I can't seem to get required 3V.

6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

If you are using it as an indicator in a laser printer, look for a low voltage to connect the led.
    We do not want leds connected directly to the mains.

Bertus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.