AC HiPOT Testing Help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by metaltomato, Dec 14, 2012.

1. metaltomato

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 14, 2012
    I am designing a small manufacturing cell producing 2kw BLAC power units.

I have purchased a GwInstek 4 in 1 Electrical Safety tester to perform Megger and AC HiPot tests.

The heart of the problem is that although I have read extensively on the subject of high voltage testing, I still do not feel comfortable setting up a testing station.

Can you please point me towards a reliable source to help me program my machine, set-up a station, and help me determine my standards.

2. Duane P Wetick

Apr 23, 2009
    You should use either the UL (Underwriters Laboratories) or CSA (Canadian Standards Association) test standards in the US and Canada. The CE (Cenelec) standards are recognized throughout Europe.

Cheers, DPW [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]

3. metaltomato

Dec 14, 2012
    I have the standards, what I need is help using the equipment, setting up the station, and setting minimums that are more specific to my motor than UL, IEC etc minimums.

4. Duane P Wetick

Apr 23, 2009
    What you probably need is someone skilled in setting up a automatic test station (manufacturing engineer). The test standards allow quick turna-rounds of tests (1000 V +2x line voltage for 2 seconds, etc.)

Cheers, DPW [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]

5. metaltomato

Dec 14, 2012
    lol...yup...that is exactly what I am asking for! leads to folks that can help me out.

6. metaltomato

Dec 14, 2012
    so...anyone have any other leads on where I learn how to administer an AC HiPot test in a manufacturing environment?

7. mbohuntr

Apr 6, 2009
    This might not be an exact fit, but their equipment is pretty neat to use, and self diagnosing. Might be a good fit for life-cycle trending of your products. We use it for on and off-line testing of motors. Plug and play, connect and push a couple of buttons. The results can be put on a flash drive.

http://www.eis-inc.com/suppliers/baker.asp?showcase_no=201484