AC Drives components - help!

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by JackBlake, Aug 7, 2013.

1. JackBlake

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Hi All

I'm very new to Power electronics so please be gentle...

I grasp that AC drives have 3 stages:

1) Rectifier
    2) DC Link
    3) Inverter

My questions:

1) I read that the job of the DC Link is to 'filter' the DC voltage before it enters the IGBTs. How does it do this?

2) Are the terms 'DC Link', 'DC Bus' and 'DC Choke link' interchangeable?
    E.G do all 3 terms refer to the same thing/components?

Thanks in advance

2. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    Jack I'll try to be gentle....

Your questions are readily resolved via a few simple search terms and some relatively simple content reading on the web. At least try to find the answers yourself.

3. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Dc bus is the proper term. Dc link probably refers to drives that have terminals to give access to the dc bus. You can power multiple drives from one drive's dc bus, via the "dc link" , I guess you would say. Never heard of a dc choke link. If you want to Google that for me, I'd be much obliged.

4. JackBlake

Aug 7, 2013
    Thanks for taking the time to review my question t_n_k.

I spent much of yesterday in 'tinternet, trying to find a simple explanation/definition but all websites or OEM AC drive specs send me down over-complicated rabbit holes that assumes prior knowledge of the subject hence my confusion.

That's how I ended up reaching out to those who might be able to educate me on this forum.

If you can either post clear answers to my questions or point me in the right direction of a good weblink I'd be much obliged

Thanks in advance

5. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    Jack,

In what context are you studying A.C. drives? Generally one would not be delving into this subject matter until they had some background in electrical training & a particular requirement (say) to understand variable speed control of A.C. motors.
    I guess if you were in the sales area and needed to understand the basic technical issues there could be some challenges in gaining a clear understanding of the typical system configuration.
    Perhaps you come from another discipline and want to expand your knowledge......
    Let us know and perhaps we can suggest some relevant reading material.

6. JackBlake

Aug 7, 2013
    You've got it t_n_k!

I've recently joined an AC drive manufacturing company in a sales admin position.

Hence I started a necessary quest to understand the basics.

However, I have seemly awoken a genuine interest to learn about power electronics which has led to my deep diving into the how's & why's of AC-DC-AC.

7. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Do you have service techs at your company? You might want to spend some time with them. The service techs should be more than happy to take you by the hand and lead you into the world of motor controls. The more you sell the more they get to install and service.

Signed, - a service tech for a drives and controls distributor.

P.s. A salesman who knows nothing about the products he sells is tragic. Those who don't drink from the fire hose and get up to snuff on their products in a timely manner don't last long.