AC-DC

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Single phase.

Good question since the magnetism is proportional to the rate of change of current, so its strength increases with frequency.
The increased (doubled) frequency output of bridge applies to the ripple.

I am not sure if the output of a plain bridge, without capacitive smoothing, can be considered all ripple.

So I am not sure if there would be any benefit or not.

uwed

Joined Mar 16, 2015
Sure, and the magnetic field will be quite constant even without smoothing capacitor if the coil's inductance is large (1st Maxwell: rot H = S (+dD/dt)). Of course the AC-side current will be ugly: rectangular-shaped with a lot of harmonics which might be an EMI-concern if there is some serious current involved.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
it may cause the magnet and/ or whatever it attracts to hum and buzz but otherwise will work.
straight 60 Hz AC is used on magnets when it is desired to lift non-ferrous metals like copper and aluminum. induced eddy currents in those metals create magnetic fields that can then be used to pick them up with the AC driven electromagnet.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
"the strength of a magnet increases with frequency"? what ever happened to inductive reactance? less ac current thorugh a coil as the frequency increases.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
yes, I believe he mis-stated the concept. INDUCED VOLTAGE will increase with increasing rate of change in a magnetic field.

Lavanya.R

Joined Dec 9, 2014
Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestion. I found a problem while testing the Rectifier ckt.
Fuse is getting blowed up (either fuse at circuit or the fuse present in spike buster), when the circuit is been powered. what can be the reason? attached is the circuit diagram.

Attachments

Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestion. I found a problem while testing the Rectifier ckt.
Fuse is getting blowed up (either fuse at circuit or the fuse present in spike buster), when the circuit is been powered. what can be the reason? attached is the circuit diagram.

Ditto @Dodgydave :)

Inasmuch as it will have been abused, you may wish to verify the integrity of the diode drawn at lower-left (as per the attached schematic).

FWIW Apprehension of the difficulty may be realized via consideration of the fact that, as connected, the lower-right diode is effectively bypassed via the G-N load center connection.

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You have a dead short to earth ground by connecting the -ve side of the bridge to ground.
BTW a reverse EMF diode across the coil also assists in removing any ripple current through the coil and assist in retaining it at the 120Hz zero points.
Max.

hi all,
Can I use output of Bridge rectifier to drive the MOSFET (supply b/n VDD and VSS) which acts as switch?
Yes -- providing that the peak output of the bridge is greater than the threshold, yet less than the absolute maximum, G-S EMF specification...
As a practical matter, if your implementation of the MOSFET is as a switch, E(gs) must be sufficient to saturate the device at the maximum anticipated Drain-Source EMF & current...

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
hi all,
Can I use output of Bridge rectifier to drive the MOSFET (supply b/n VDD and VSS) which acts as switch?
Yes, if you use the right mosfet and several other parts to accomplish switching something.
Please post your schematic so we can see what you are trying to switch.