AC - DC Converter

User_axpro

Joined Apr 15, 2013
Hi there,
Quick question, In a theoretical project, what would be the max voltage a Bridge rectifier circuit with a capacitive filter could take ?
Does anyone know a more efficient to transform AC - DC at higher voltages ?
I have knoledge of designing AC-DC circuits to certain parameters but im sure i can pick up other information as i go, thanks in advance :)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
And you can put them is series to increase the total voltage without increasing the voltage across individual components.

User_axpro

Joined Apr 15, 2013
Thank you for your replys, i know my question was quite vauge.
If the AC-DC bridge rectifier circuit needed a PI filter to meet a certain ripple value could this be calculated re-arranging the following equations:

to gain the capicitor value and divide by two for the equal capaitance, and obtain the inductance needed by re-arranging:

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Bridge rectifiers or diodes for that matter have high breakdown voltages of about 1000 volts or higher so I guess you could use them for some value less than that and concerning that capacitors, the voltage rating has to be twice as high as the voltage that you are working with ?
Why what is this theoretical project that you are working on ? Are you trying to generate high voltages?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
If the AC-DC bridge rectifier circuit needed a PI filter to meet a certain ripple value ....
This is a completely different question than your first post, which has been more-or-less answered (we can't tell for sure because, as you agree, it was vague).

What are you really trying to do? The pros around here are good with circuits. Mind reading not so much.