AC/DC converter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by nathomas, Apr 7, 2011.

1. nathomas

Thread Starter Member

Mar 3, 2011
    I have a recom RAC04 15SA ac/dc converter and I would like to know if the polarity of the input ac can be changed for the ac/dc converter. If not what measures can I use so that nothing happens to the ac/dc converter. Thanks.
    Below is the link to the AC/DC converter I am using.

http://www.recom-international.com/pdf/Powerline-AC-DC/RAC04-SA.pdf

2. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    What do you mean by the polarity of the input AC? AC supplies, by definition change polarity all the time, perhaps 100 or 120 times a second, depending on whether your local mains frequency is 50Hz or 60Hz.

I am at a loss to see what you think you need to protect the inverter against, or what you are afraid might happen to it- please explain.

3. nathomas

Thread Starter Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Well if you look at the converter it has a load and neutral connection. And if you look at polarized plug points, you have irregular shapes to keep them in the right socket. So in this converter would I need a polarized connector to keep the load and neutral going to the right points on the converter? Hope you understand.

4. nathomas

Thread Starter Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Let me put it this way. Is it alright if I interchange the Load and Neutral input to the ac/dc converter? Or do I need a polarized ac receptacle?

5. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    That's not the same thing as polarity, but if your inverter has inputs marked as live (or line) and neutral then it would be wise to respect them.

For instance, the converter may contain a fuse on the live input. If you connected the input the other way round the fuse would be in the neutral line, so that if the fuse were to blow live voltages would still be present.

nathomas likes this.
  6. nathomas

Thread Starter Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Thanks. that was what I was worried about. Even if the device was not working but connected, the wires would still be live.