AC current detection

Arkole Blake

Joined Feb 15, 2012
o/ All

I am looking for a way to detect current through one of two power connections feeding the same transformer. (see pic below)

What I have is a 115v transformer that draws ~11a. (t1). It is hardwired to an gasoline powered generator(j1), It also has a powercord(j2) that is used to draw power from the grid when it is avalible.

I need a way to detect when current is bieng draw from the powercord(j2) and trip a relay (or other device)(LS1) that will close another circuit which is isolated from this one.

The second (isolated) circuit has its own power source and will be looking for a closed or open indication from the relay.

The only power source avalible to run LS1 is the 115v from the transformer power cord (j2).

I have a working solution using 3 AC relays but was hopeing to find a simpler and more cost effective solution.

Thanks in advance for any help, and feel free to ask for any relivent info that I have left out.
(consider it safe to assume that the generator and the powercord will never be providing power at the same time.)

-Tim D.

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
This seems so much easier to do with voltage but if you must use current, .45 ohms in series with 11 amps will provide a voltage that will drive a 5 volt AC relay coil. The loss of 5 volts on your 115 volt line will probably not hurt anything.

I'm really not very clear about what you want so I just suggested something I could cobble up from my spare parts bin.

Arkole Blake

Joined Feb 15, 2012
Thanks for the responces so far guys.

#12 sorry if the title of the thread was misleading, using voltage instead of current is an option. The three relay solution that I mentioned in the op actually does this in a rather crude way. (see below for how this is wired)

In a nutshell, what I have is two inputs that can power the same transformer and a seperate circuit that needs to know which input the power is comming from. This seperate circuit has a connection avalible that just needs to be closed when one cord is powered. (and open otherwise of course)

As you will see from the pic below, what I am currently doing simply disconnects j2 when j1 is powered so that LS1 will only activate when j1 is running the system. This system works but is rather crude and bulky, I was hopeing for a few ideas how to do this in a more 'modern' way that would take up less room and (hopefully) be a bit less costly. (these large ac relays are not exactly cheap :p)

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Here is a way to do this with one DPDT relay.

I assumed the common points are in the usual places and you know the difference between ground, common, and bond. In other words, I'm lazy. I assume you can fill in the common conections yourself.

Attachments

Last edited: