AC couple pin to GND?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Vindhyachal Takniki, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Vindhyachal Takniki

Thread Starter Member

Nov 3, 2014
  2. Reloadron

Jan 15, 2015
    No, here is what our friends at NI say:

If we have an AC signal riding on a DC component level using a cap in the line will block the DC component. Here is the NI pdf on the subject.

Ron

3. Vindhyachal Takniki

Thread Starter Member

Nov 3, 2014
    @Reloadron yes the link I got what ac & dc coupling mean.
    But in my circuit I have to ac couple a pin to GND. Does that mean that I have to connect a capacitor between pin & gnd like a decoupling capacitor.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    That's what it sounds like, but "in my circuit" makes this look like you sent us to a reference that has nothing to do with your circuit. How are we supposed to guess what YOUR circuit needs?

5. Reloadron

Jan 15, 2015
    Anytime since a capacitor passes AC and blocks DC you connect AC to to a capacitor that is going to a ground you have effectively shorted your AC signal to ground and thus this makes no sense. DC power pins use a decoupling capacitor to ground but coupling an AC signal to ground makes no sense. Would really need to see a schematic or drawing of what you are talking about.

Ron

6. Ramussons

May 3, 2013
    The term "ac couple" in this context is ambiguous. The term "couple" is used when we want to pass on signals for further use - amplifying, filtering, etc. "bypass" or "decouple" is the term used when "ground" comes in.

You need to show a schematic or a explanation for us to infer what actually you mean in this particular case.

If we do away with the terminology, "Yes" is the answer to your question.