AC Connector Help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by RyanRDB, Sep 3, 2014.

1. RyanRDB

Thread Starter New Member

May 13, 2014
    Hey everyone,

I'm working on an application for an induction heating circuit. I need to find a suitable three-connection plug / jack for a connection between the capacitors and the working coil.

There is one positive and two ground connections & the resonating frequency is about 225 khz. It also draws 5 to 6 amps, max. I was wondering if someone could tell me what the best-suited (& most compact) connector would be for this purpose. Here are a few preferences:
    - Compact shape (1/2" diameter or less)
    - $3 each or less (planning on ordering 50-100)
    - 6 amps (ac) rating

I tried a 3.5mm stereo jack (3 connections) just for the hell of it, but I’m assuming the connections aren’t robust enough to handle the current. My next thought was possibly a mini xlr plug, but the ones I’ve seen are a little bulkier than I'd like (larger than .5" diameter & a little long), and somewhat expensive (more than $3). Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.
  2. b1u3sf4n09

May 23, 2014
  3. MaxHeadRoom

Jul 18, 2013
    I think for that application it is worth spending a little and go with Amp CPC series, you can get a bulkhead fitting and the mating cable connector.
    They are the cheaper version of the MS connector.
  4. RyanRDB

Thread Starter New Member

May 13, 2014
    First, thanks a lot for the replies. I appreciate any recommendations / help I can get.

That looks like a pretty good option, a pcb mounted connector might work well -- the connector will be protruding from the case so I might be able to glue some mounting structures on the pcb (to fix to the inside of the case). The PSU is 12v / 5-6a but I'm having some trouble determining if the voltage is the same between the capacitors and work coil -- I've read that it varies (and can spike to high voltages), but my multimeter only records 6 volts when I connect one lead to the center-tap and the other lead to one end of the coil (which is a bit perplexing). That sounded a little confusing, so here's a pic of what I mean: (this is my "pluggable" induction unit that I experiment with) [​IMG]

That looks like a good option as well -- seems like a solid connection if you were to screw it on like that. It seems like it'd be easy to mount to the case as well -- just (from the inside) poke it through the hole and thread a nut onto the protruding end to secure it.. Off the top of your head, do you know if they're (on average) much more than $3?

Thanks again for the suggestions.