AC circuits - inductors and resistors

xxxyyy

Joined Oct 7, 2011
Hi!
Is there any tutorial about solving AC circuit which contains both resistors and inductors using kirchhoff laws?

bretm

Joined Feb 6, 2012
The Kirchhoff analysis would be the same as if the inductors were replaced by resistors with resistance equal to their AC impedance (assuming their DC resistance is negligible). Impedance for an inductor is the inductance in henries multiplied by the angular frequency. The angular frequency is 2 pi times the AC frequency.

The AAC ebook gives an example at http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_3/3.html

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The Kirchhoff analysis would be the same as if the inductors were replaced by resistors with resistance equal to their AC impedance (assuming their DC resistance is negligible). Impedance for an inductor is the inductance in henries multiplied by the angular frequency. The angular frequency is 2 pi times the AC frequency.
That only works if the circuit contains only inductors and no resistors. If it contains resistors also then you have to do a complex impedance calculation to account for the phase shift caused by the inductors. That is shown in the reference you posted.

xxxyyy

Joined Oct 7, 2011
I have done few examples and I think I understand it. But if circuit has few voltage sources which have different frequencies, how should I solve that circuit? I guess that superposition theorem should do job?