AC adapter for DC blower fan?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by tomjonesrocks, Aug 28, 2015.

1. tomjonesrocks

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 28, 2015
    I'm trying to power the following fan: an A/C outlet. I've read numerous projects where guys have used this fan in this manner but can't find how/what power supply they used. I tried this one first (after cutting to the wires)

The fan runs for a second, then stops for a second, runs for a second, stops for a second. And so on and so on.

Am just not sure what I'm missing or what I'm doing wrong. The adapter seems to have enough power but I don't know why it keeps stopping?

The fan definitely functions connected to battery; the specs it says Voltage 13.6, Amp Draw 3.1, Fuse Size 4-amp

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks--
  2. MaxHeadRoom

Jul 18, 2013
    As I believe you were advised in another forum, most likely the adaptor does not like the motor inrush.
    Obtain or make a simple mains adaptor from 3 components, transformer, bridge rect. and capacitor, in fact with a motor you do not need the cap even, now 2 components.
  3. tomjonesrocks

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 28, 2015
    Yes, I'm now becoming educated on the difference between a "switching" and "linear" adapter is between forums. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a "linear" adapter that I can just wire up and have this fan working. Unsure really how to build a solution from a bridge rectifier and capacitor - was hoping just to find an adapter that would work. Easier said than done I guess...

Will now research what a "mains adaptor"

Nov 30, 2010
    This sounds like a job for a 15 volt transformer rated for 5 amps with a 4 diode bridge and no capacitors.
    Judging by the country you are in, I would say to buy the parts at...

No country.
    I'm stuck.