Absolute value of difference circuit

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by kender, Aug 15, 2011.

1. kender

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Colleagues,

I’m trying to come up with an analog circuit that would let me detect when the difference (error) between 2 signals becomes greater than a preset threshold. Both signals are DC between 0V and +2V. Either one can be more positive. A negative supply rail is available in the system. Some inaccuracy can be tolerated.

There are number of approaches to the problem. For example:
    1. Take the difference of the signals with a differential OpAmp circuit (or InAmp), then take absolute value of that with another OpAmp circuit, than compare it to V_{max,err} = const with a threshold comparator. That would require 3x building blocks: 2x OpAmp, 1x comparator.
    2. Alternatively, take the difference of the signals with a differential OpAmp circuit (or InAmp). Then do a window comparison -V_{max,err} < V < + V_{max,err}. That would also require 3x building blocks: 1x OpAmp, 2x comparator.
    Could there be more elegant ways of doing this (or am I asking for too much)?

Any suggestion, insight or reference is really appreciated!

- Nick

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Use a microcontroller with A/D converter builtin.

3. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    That's the approach I would choose. However for a precision rectifier/absolute value circuit you'd need 2 Opamps, then the comparator.

4 Opamps fit into one package. There is nothing inelegant to it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  4. kender

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jan 17, 2007
    According to the figure on p.87 here (TI OpAmp handbook), it may be possible to make an absolute value circuit with a single OpAmp.

5. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    Oops, looks strange, I wonder how it can measure the absolute value if for example the input voltage is negative and is limited by the lower diode's forward voltage drop....

I don't get it, maybe because it's almost midnight.?

The circuit on page 89 looks more like what I meant.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  6. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    That "Absolute Value" circuit on page 87 absolutely doesn't work. I wonder how they snuck that one past the proofreaders?

7. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
  8. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Actually I think your second approach is far simpler and most likely to work first time out of the box.