About Variac Transformer.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Mussawar, May 29, 2012.

1. Mussawar

Thread Starter Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I have mostly seen the Variac Transformers with Ferrite core. Just want to know if I wind it on an iron core, would it work? And now frankly, I have in my mind that if I wind it on a Stator of a Padistel fan (Round Core), Would it work? I want to use it just for the calibration of Stabilizers. I just want to increase and decrease the voltages manually. I'm handy to make the sliding mechanism.:) Looking for openions. Thanks and regards.

2. ifixit

Distinguished Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Post a picture of the core you are thinking of using. What is the maximum current you need? An iron core will likely have more losses due to eddy currents unless designed carefully.

Regards,
    Ifixit

3. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    I once made one with 2 in wide steel strapping tape; 2 in id, 3.5 od, wound with ?? # 16 enameled wire, painted with glyptal ?. 60 Hz, about 3A. Of course you are using an isolation transformer ahead of " Variac" for isolation from line to meet AAC requirements.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    This issue is still open in my mind. You are dealing with mains, and have main voltages. You are not trying to convert them to low voltage DC, for example, which is exactly what the ToS has a problem with. I don't directly have a problem with a auto-transformer, so I will bring it up to the other mods.