about transformer

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
When using your ohm-meter or continuity tester, impedance of the coil in your transformer does not matter. Other than initial current, the DC depends only on the resistance of the wire in the winding. From there, it depends upon how your meter works as to whether it will beep or not. What do the two windings read in ohms?

I asked that question in post #13 but you chose to continue on the thought that the inductance of the coil will cause a beep or no beep. That simply is not true.

williejon

Joined Feb 18, 2013
actually u are not getting my point....... firstly tell me something....
1> can we say that due to only prescense of inductance on secondary side there is no
power dissipation. so on checking its conductivity multimeter beeps?
2> if ans of 1> is YES THEN same is on primary side or not?
3> now u(williejon) are saying that if resistance is <50ohm then it wiil not beep BUT on secondary side i had seen that resistance is near about 5ohm and it also beep.......
so now pls ans.......
and pls don't discuss about range becoz i don't think so that it may be reason of my question.........
plz don't mind. if it is the then pls tell me with correct explanation.......
Ok, no more meters. But I can measure resistance from aprox. 150-200Ω and down on test continuity and get a beep. But if I switch to the Ω function I do not. Maybe I misunderstood you. Sorry. You seem to suggest after all that it didn't beep and you have infinite resistance on the primary. You are reading 5 Ω in the secondary. Maybe there is capacitance left on the secondary? Can you take a numerical measure of the resistance on the primary? (no more beeps):)

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
<snip> Maybe there is capacitance left on the secondary? Can you take a numerical measure of the resistance on the primary? (no more beeps):)

Please explain what you mean by the capacitance being left on the secondary. Even though all components have a Capacitance, it would not have any meaningful effect on measuring the resistance of a transformer you can hold in your hand.

williejon

Joined Feb 18, 2013
I guess i was thinking of a whole circuit. Capacitance might give a resistance reading lower than it actually is if I understand correctly. I was thinking that it is a standard warning for measuring resistance in order to protect the meter. Why doesn't the meter beep? Even a short circuit has continuity unless it is intermittent, or the meter was the cause of it. I don't know. (But i will learn)

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Capacitance will only give a lower resistance reading until the cap charges up. Try it. Take a fairly large cap (100uF or larger) and try to measure its resistance. The meter will start out showing low resistance, but keep showing higher values until it shows a very high value as the cap charges. Ohm meters work on current. Most digital multimeters supply a constant current and use the voltage developed to indicate the resistance. Analog ohm meters such as a Simpson 260 use a voltage and the meter will indicate the current through the unknown resistor. They usually have a ZERO control which you would use to set the meter to ZERO with the leads shorted. That would be full scale on the meter movement. A rotary switch would set the range.

hassi

Joined Mar 1, 2013
i have measured values...
1. voltage rating on primary-220V and on secondary- 3 to 9V
2. resistance of primary winding- 1500ohm
3. resistance of secondary winding- 15ohm

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
So your meter beeps for the secondary and not the primary. Sounds about right. That is the way the meter is supposed to work.