about symbol and frame synchronization

marwanm

Joined Sep 16, 2008
hi all,
I really have some tough project in my Masters program, where i am asked to implement symbol and frame sync. in matlab.
First, i need some examples, or some books talking about these sync.s
second, some ideas about how to implement them in Matlab.
Thank you guys, appreciate your help,
waiting for your kind feedback

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
In any kind of serial bit stream the first task is to decide if you can tell the difference between a 0 and a 1. This assumes you are dealing with a binary symbol set. If your set of basic symbols has more than two elements then you need rules to uniquely distinguish among them. Recognizing each of the basic symbols is equivalent to establishing symbol sync.

Now you collect a group of symbols together, in a shift register for example, and look at the group as a whole each time a new symbol is shifted in. Once you find a recognizeable pattern you have frame syncronization.

So what's the problem?

marwanm

Joined Sep 16, 2008
i wish that things are so easy :)
the data that i am supposed to do symbol and frame sync. is a distorted one, it's tansmitted over a noisy wireless channel, and i will have to detect the symbols correctly at the wright sampling time,that's why I need a synchronized clock to do the job. so I think the symbol sync. part requires a more sophosticated solution.
About the frame sync. part, I think it's a very logic solution..

marwanm

Joined Sep 16, 2008
one more question
if I used the manchester line code for my data, do I still need to implement the symbol synchronization?!