About Serial/Ethernet Converters

mamech

Joined Nov 3, 2010
Hello Everyone

I want to make a project, in which I want to connect a pc with a distant micro (around 200m-300m), so I want to send data form pc as ethernet then converting it again to serial to be readable by micro.

My question now is the following: Is using such converter help by distance problem?
I imagine the system to be as follows: the PC sends data in ethernet form- data flows into cable till the first 100m- the repeater or the bridge repeats signal- another 100 m- the repeater or the bridge repeats signal again- to eathernet/serial converter - to micro

Is this configuration alright? or nonsense?

mamech

Joined Nov 3, 2010
The main problem is that I am not familiar with RS485 and I really don't know what can be the components of my system if I decide to go with RS485. I do not how to make computer software or the microcontroller to send or receive in RS485, and I have no Idea what is the cable type capable of transferring data in RS485, and I do not know how to restrengthen it too.

You can do it on your own man. You can learn how to use RS485 if you are interested to learn. That's what i did, we have all the resources that we need on the net.