About Serial/Ethernet Converters

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by mamech, Nov 3, 2010.

1. mamech

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Hello Everyone

I want to make a project, in which I want to connect a pc with a distant micro (around 200m-300m), so I want to send data form pc as ethernet then converting it again to serial to be readable by micro.

My question now is the following: Is using such converter help by distance problem?
    I imagine the system to be as follows: the PC sends data in ethernet form- data flows into cable till the first 100m- the repeater or the bridge repeats signal- another 100 m- the repeater or the bridge repeats signal again- to eathernet/serial converter - to micro

Is this configuration alright? or nonsense?

2. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    Sounds pointless. Go with RS485 since you want serial anyway.

3. mamech

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 3, 2010
    The main problem is that I am not familiar with RS485 and I really don't know what can be the components of my system if I decide to go with RS485. I do not how to make computer software or the microcontroller to send or receive in RS485, and I have no Idea what is the cable type capable of transferring data in RS485, and I do not know how to restrengthen it too.

4. benjamin21open

Oct 7, 2010
    You can do it on your own man. You can learn how to use RS485 if you are interested to learn. That's what i did, we have all the resources that we need on the net.