About reactive voltaage

zamansabbir

Joined May 27, 2008
Hi
I am confused about a thing which leads me to be mad. The thing is that

'' Is it possible to get voltage across reactive elements like capacitor or inductor or the mix up of these elements higher than applied voltage in circuit consisting of these elements (which may contain another element like resistor) ? ''
If it is possible then let me get help from you with your own view or the idea you got from another source .

Hoping for your help
zamansabbir

Ratch

Joined Mar 20, 2007
zamansabbir,

'' Is it possible to get voltage across reactive elements like capacitor or inductor or the mix up of these elements higher than applied voltage in circuit consisting of these elements (which may contain another element like resistor) ? ''
If it is possible then let me get help from you with your own view or the idea you got from another source .
Assuming that you are talking about the sinusoidal steady state, the answer is yes. Let's take a simple example of a series resonant circuit where the reactance of the inductive reactance and capacitive reactance are equal. You can have much higher voltages across the inductor or capacitor than the applied voltage. But remember, the voltage you measure across the reactive element will be 90 degrees out of phase with the applied voltage. Also remember the voltages measured around the loop must be added vectorially.

Ratch