About Mosfet Heat sink

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by sonda, Dec 12, 2012.

1. sonda

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Hi,

i am using a N channel mosfet IRF 1405 to drive a 19A fan motor. the mosfet is controlled by a 10K potentiometer & 50K NTC. my question is what type of a heat sink do i need to use for this Mosfet. thanks In advance.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Huge.

I think you just said you are using the mosfet in the linear region where P=IE and the voltage is unknown. Power = current times voltage. That's why mosfets are usually run as variable pulse width devices. Way complicated compared to just a potentiometer, but much easier to keep cool.

sonda likes this.
  3. nigelwright7557

May 10, 2008
    A huge one !

Look up PWM controllers.

sonda likes this.
  4. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    You have to calculate the power dissipation, then select a heatsink based on allowable maximum temperature rise.

sonda likes this.
  5. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    However, if a FET is used as a "saturated" switch (fully cranked ON), power is calculated as:

P = (I)squared X (FET ON resistance)

sonda likes this.
  6. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    What is the fan supply voltage? From the maximum power theorem the maximum MOSFET dissipation will occur when the voltage across the MOSFET is 1/2 the supply voltage but that's for a resistive load. Since the fan is a variable load it's more difficult to accurately determine the maximum power point, but it's likely to be no more than 1/2 the supply voltage times 1/2 the maximum fan current.

sonda likes this.
  7. sonda

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 30, 2012
    its supply voltage is 12 volts. thanks a lot!