About cheap new Caps from Ebay and their value ?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by UnnamedUser159, Jul 28, 2016.

1. UnnamedUser159

Thread Starter Member

May 3, 2016
    Hi there,
    i buy new electrolytic capacitors from Ebay and from local store from my country.
    If the capacitor should be 1000uf i find that it goes to maybe 970 as new. Is this normal?
    I measured it though capacity meter cm9601a and cheap esr meter.
    I`ve heard that capacitors should be replaced when they go 5-10% lower. What is the meaning to buy new capacitors when if i want to put CE somewhere i have to measure them(the new one) and then use second hand from my "store".
    I am talking about new capacitors from local store too.
    Is my new meter(and the ESR is new too) the reason or ?

Thanks in advance
  2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Unless you pay extra for a tight tollerance you can expect -10 to +20 or 50 or even 150% variance. Yours measures just -3% which is probably acceptable. If your meter has not been calibrated it should just be used for reference, meaning just use it for a gross check.

Cheap parts are cheap for a reason. They may be test fallout parts bought for pennies. Or a vendor just getting established who hasn't quite figured out how to make a reliable part.
  3. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    3% for a capacitor sounds very good to me too.
  4. MaxHeadRoom

Jul 18, 2013
    Even US Manufacturers have been know to quote a tolerance for electrolytic to be -0% to +100%