About buying components

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by Electro-learner, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Electro-learner

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 18, 2015
    I want to buy an IC555 timer. I don't want to buy it online.

I just want to know whether I can buy an IC from any local hardware store.Please help...

2. OBW0549

Mar 2, 2015
    I seriously doubt you'll find a 555 (or any other kind of IC, for that matter) in a hardware store. Your best bet would probably be a RadioShack, if there's one anywhere near you.

There used to be a fair number of other stores around, especially in the big cities, that catered to electronics hobbyists but their numbers have dwindled in recent years.

One other kind of place you could try would be a large computer store like MicroCenter. Ours (in the Philadelphia suburbs) has a section devoted to Arduino's, Raspberry Pi's, and other little bareboard computer doohickies, and I've seen ICs there (mostly from Jameco, IIRC).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  3. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Hamfests which are help periodically in the US have numerous vendors that sell IC's and components.

4. darrough

Jan 18, 2015
    Online will definitely have the best price. Why not online?

5. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Google electronics components in your area. Find a local electronics component supplier.

Electro-learner likes this.
  6. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Don't know if Digi-Key has a retail counter in Thief River Falls, MN but I think it would make a cool road trip to find out. The tour alone would be worth it.

7. RichardO

May 4, 2013
    I've heard they give tours. :D

Papabravo likes this.
  8. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Their
    They are located right next to the Arctic Cat snowmobile factory. I have no idea if they give tours.

Do it in July or August and you can go tubing down Red Lake River - the worst sunburn I ever had. I was living in Grand Forks, ND at the time.

Papabravo likes this.
  9. Electro-learner

Mar 18, 2015
    I don't have a credit card for online use. It's also due to security issues.

10. Electro-learner

Mar 18, 2015
    I had not expected that I would get quick responses so fast. I must say, this is a very active forum...
    By the way, thanks for all you people's help. I googled and found an enterprises shop that sells electronic components nearby(using Google Map).
    I will visit that shop in a few days and let you know about it. :)

11. Electro-learner

Mar 18, 2015
    I have found what I wanted. Thanks to you all for helping me!