About alligator clips with 2 wires

Kardo22

Joined Mar 12, 2014
I'm thinking how do they work. Usually there's 1 wire per clip.
Does anyone have any insigths to how they work. I've even seen variants with 4 wires.
The clip I'm thinking about looks like this:

When testin, it is connected like this:

And connected at the other end like this(only the 2 rigthmost wires):

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Congratulation. You manages to post two pictures that show nothing.

Can't see the probe end of the probe.

Can't see the front panel markings of whatever instrument you have.

If you post better pictures I'll tell you about a meter we use every day that has 4 wires.

And welcome to the forums!

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
is so your test device can perform multiple functions without having to change hookups during the test..
I'd assume thats an AC/DC/IR/Ground bond tester.

Kardo22

Joined Mar 12, 2014
Congratulation. You manages to post two pictures that show nothing.

Can't see the probe end of the probe.

Can't see the front panel markings of whatever instrument you have.

If you post better pictures I'll tell you about a meter we use every day that has 4 wires.

And welcome to the forums!
Sorry about that
Heres 1 more picture of the testing(I'm holding the probe):

A link to the tester:
http://www.sefelec.com/en/produit.php?produit=2804

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A pair of banana jacks -> one cable -> two mini plugs -> two clips

means that the one cable is a coaxial cable, one center conductor and one shield.

There is nothing magical about that.

You don't connect the grey mini jack into the green mini jack. That is shorting the signal to ground.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
RTFM ;)

A few styles of banana jacks have the ability to "piggyback" into each other..
As I've already stated its so multiple tests can be performed without having to switch leads.. The safety tester takes care of the switching during measurements.

Kardo22

Joined Mar 12, 2014
RTFM ;)

A few styles of banana jacks have the ability to "piggyback" into each other..
As I've already stated its so multiple tests can be performed without having to switch leads.. The safety tester takes care of the switching during measurements.
piggiback clips, didn't even think of a term like this
I searched google but never found anything useful until I added 'piggyback'.

Can these wires be used without the clip (jack)? If I wanted to connect them permanently, could I just connect the ends of the wires to the same point?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
piggiback clips, didn't even think of a term like this
I searched google but never found anything useful until I added 'piggyback'.

Can these wires be used without the clip (jack)? If I wanted to connect them permanently, could I just connect the ends of the wires to the same point?
Sure.. you can always just cut off a banana jack and solder the wire directly to something for a more permanent installation.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The cables would appear to be part of a 4-wire (Kelvin) connection to measure low resistances. For that you would connect four probes to all four connections from the two cables. Two of the four wires carry the measurement current and the other two measure the resulting voltage to determine the UUT resistance. That connection avoids measurement errors due to cable and probe resistance.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Sorry about that
Heres 1 more picture of the testing(I'm holding the probe):

A link to the tester:
http://www.sefelec.com/en/produit.php?produit=2804
Ermm... what picture? And that link is a dead end, so I can't see the details about the "electrical safety tester 2804"

Anyway... crutschow beat me to what I was thinking: it's a 4-wire (or Kelvin) set up. I use those a lot for bonding measurements to check if there is a truly low resistance connection between items, and low is defined as 0.0025 ohms or less. (Note: 0.0025 ohms is NOT a typo.)

Without a 4-wire test you could never measure anything that low.