About a certain switch..

breaker

Joined Aug 11, 2010
Yo guys, I need to find a certain switch, ive looked all around the internet but gotten no luck.. Its a button switch which turns on and off the circuit continuously really fast. Like when the button is held down, the circuit is opened then closed and opened and closed and open and closed and open in a fast motion.. and when i release the button, the circuit cuts off completely. I was thinking of just using a little motor and making the switch myself somehow ahahah but I would have no idea how..

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
that sounds like applying 12 VAC to a 12 VDC relay. It would click on and off very rapidly... although the contacts may wear out prematurely. I'm just saying, that's what I immediately thought of. There must be some solid-state answer to that problem. By the way, what are you trying to do with this strange switch?

breaker

Joined Aug 11, 2010
Hmm yea, hopefully theres something that would last and not wear though! Ahah its kind of strange.. In my xbox controller theres a part on the chip which i have to connect to another part of the switch. When the 2 parts meet, they press a certain button on the control (the button that shoots the gun :) ) . So if i can make an extra button on the control which opens and closes the circuit really fast I could make semi automatic weapons automatic. Haha i know its silly but I just wanted to experiment with something simple for now as i'm starting to get really interested into circuits and electronics.

Ghar

Joined Mar 8, 2010
Real switches will have some debounce function to get rid of this problem, since every mechanical switch will open and close several times like you say.
Personally I wouldn't bother with the switch but try to use a simple square wave oscillator instead of the switch. All a switch like this does is pull some logic high or low. You could then add a regular switch to turn it on or off. This way you could also easily tune it to try to find the maximum rate before you run into the limit from the debouncing.

Not many games let you shoot as fast as you can press though, which one are you trying to abuse? :p

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Hmm yea, hopefully theres something that would last and not wear though! Ahah its kind of strange.. In my xbox controller theres a part on the chip which i have to connect to another part of the switch. When the 2 parts meet, they press a certain button on the control (the button that shoots the gun :) ) . So if i can make an extra button on the control which opens and closes the circuit really fast I could make semi automatic weapons automatic. Haha i know its silly but I just wanted to experiment with something simple for now as i'm starting to get really interested into circuits and electronics.

People have done this a lot to make an "auto trigger" function for their controllers, go here to see how people do it >>http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=471958

B. Morse