AAC-PEASE don't change anything!

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
The other day, Electro-Tech-Online decided to change the software used to run the forum. The layout is entirely different, difficult to navigate, and is very buggy. For me, it was the straw that broke the camel's back. I've been having issues with some of the members there (and yes, some moderation, though it's been kept on the down-low), I've gotten tired of all the lazy kids who join just to get answers (I help the ones who actually want to learn), the rudeness, etc. I've finally decided to leave that forum altogether. AllAboutCircuits is now my home forum, and I'd like to go on the record saying that I like it just the way it is. PLEASE don't change anything! I think this layout is neat and easy to use and does not need to be "improved" in any way (at least from a user-perspective).

I just wanted to put that out there, in case there is any consideration of a new layout.

Regards,
Matt

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Aren't you the person that was encouraging me to re-join ETO about 6 months ago?:confused:

Joke's on you.:D
Probably, but things have really gone downhill within the past month. The moderation seems to be zeroing in on me for the stupidest little things, claiming I am being rude and inappropriate when I am not in any way. I've just had it. It's been dragging me down and I just feel I have nothing left to offer, and it has nothing left to give.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Derstrom8 , E.S.P. did I ask you last nite ,were you coming out of the grass or

some thing like that. The great mind of Loosewire.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
@ Derstrom8 , E.S.P. did I ask you last nite ,were you coming out of the grass or

some thing like that. The great mind of Loosewire.
First, which definition of "grass" are you using? :p

I'm back in Boston. When I'm not working in the electronics lab, I'm at my personal workstation in my apartment. Haven't been able to get outside much lately.... :(

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I had not heard from you much, just my mind at work wondering how you were

doing. I do pay attention ,I read your post about the changes.
Thanks loosie. I'm doing fairly well, just have a lot going on. I hope to be able to get back to my regular posting soon.

This weekend will be fun, I'll be walking to the electronics swapfest at MIT. I'm looking forward to seeing what they've got this month.

Matt

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I'm not sure what's going on with ETO. Weird.

But, I have done some changing over the past few months, I've spent a lot of time on AAC just reading. I like whats going on here.

kv

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I just built that bench in July...that's why it isn't buried under clutter.
One sheet of plywood, (6) two by fours, and 2 quarts of paint.
Oh yeah, a 6 foot outlet strip on top powered by a UPS which is hiding underneath.
I has a proud.;)

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I just built that bench in July...that's why it isn't buried under clutter.
One sheet of plywood, (6) two by fours, and 2 quarts of paint.
Oh yeah, a 6 foot outlet strip on top powered by a UPS which is hiding underneath.
I has a proud.;)
I just moved back in to my apartment on the 2nd of this month, I've already got a pile of stuff on the desk :p

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You are a proven talent ,you have a right to be proud. You know what you are doing.

You give good correct advise on a lot of subject ,only the informed members know

that. I know thirty year olds that don't how jump start a car ,had one ask me where

does the red one go...the hood was up.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
The guy has lots of money ,three or four cars. Island home...apartment here

much more....a lot of money and no brains in Florida. Don't say it..........

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Matt,

Here was my latest post at ETO ...

From ElectroMaster's sticky note:
The idea of this forum is to allow students, who are learning electronics to get some assistance with homework. However, please remember that we are not here to do it for you, just assist you along the way like a teacher. We will not do your work for you. Do not expect others to complete your work for you.
There is zero difference in what Destrom8 stated in his post and what ElectroMaster stated. Had Destrom8 quoted the sticky, we would not be having this discussion, even if one disagreed with that policy.

You can only cut so much slack. And in my experience of reading electronics related forums from NNTP newsgroups to the various germane forums that populate the net, there will always be some who are one and done. Visiting here, AAC, electronicspoint, and wherever else, some posting a question in hopes of satisfying their immediate need for an answer and not learning. I've decided many years ago the difference between the two. I've encouraged people to establish rules of the game ... the learning game ... vice the "answer game". Sometimes one will always post the answer, making them the "do homework for you" member.

Even when informed of the policy concerning the homework section, some may go to another area to "pose" that question under the guise of a project or general chat, but anyone who has read alot of homework questions, will see that for what it really is ... homework. I have no problems reporting what I see as homework to a moderator so the moderator can relocate it to the proper area.

Forums, for whatever topic, compete for one's most valuable asset, time. As such, they must be vibrant, and the user must want to vist and re-visit them. I once looked at a forum to categorize the memberships. Some are 1 and done posters, some lose interest after a period of time, some are lurkers, some are casual posters, some are active posters and some are hyperactive posters. These names can correlate with any subsection of the forum as well, however, the baseline data for the software here, and alot of other forums, includes, name, date joined, date last visited, and number of posts. That is the scant dataset available ... but not here at ETO because the owner doesn't show the "community members." You would have to look at each member individually vice a page of them.

Yes, those who want their homework done for them is a very small percentage, but their actions are well remembered because it created a memorable, abeit negative, first impression. Yes, the members could do that in the opposite direction as well, which is why I mentioned I would not respond and I will expect the moderators to inform the offenders of the forum rules.

ElectroMaster's sticky is clear.

The homework section is an unusual animal ... take the uA741 Op Amp. For the same reason you won't use it, the newbies do use it. This is because of their familiarity with the device. The schools still use it to illustrate the various parameters that are easily found by the newbies operating an oscilloscope, some for the very first time.

Posted Today at 4:02 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I joined ETO in Nov 2009. I have a total of 51 posts over there. I recently went back over there when Bill accidentally banned me.

I joined AAC in Apr 2005. I have 2188 posts before this one. If you separated my browsing habits by length of stay, AAC captures the lion's share, between actual posting and doing functions that support a post.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Thanks for the support, Joe (I think). I didn't think I was saying anything different from what ElectroMaster (the forum admin, for you guys who don't know) said in the sticky, yet moderation instantly jumped on my back. This particular moderator has been on my case regarding numerous other so-called "issues", and I've just had enough. Things just piled up and I decided it was time for me to move on.

It's great to have you all here, though. I have really grown to enjoy this forum--the moderation, the members, the discussions. I really don't have any complaints (except for one or two members, perhaps, but they're on my ignore list :p).

Cheers,
Matt