AAC Blogs

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've been playing with the AAC blogs feature again, it is amazing how many different ways people are using this function. I'm using it to help display and offer whatever I'm doing in electronics, and I have organized them into sections with hypertexting (I think I have used that word in a sentence correctly).

I notice that there is a moderator function, which I have never used, but may start. If it works like I think it does, and no guarentees there, it allows a user to "own" a small piece of this website, with the real moderators approval. Coolness!

My last blog has a request to only post in the threads it points to, not of the blog itself. Hope I don't have to use it, but if someone can't help themselves (and there isn't a good reason) I may get to try out the delete post feature.

I also notice there is a Blog Catagory feature, but I haven't quite figured it out yet. I'm missing where the function is to file it under a catagory.

For newbies that haven't figured out this feature off AAC look for the little blue number after the notation "Blog Entries:" right top of the post. Click on it and that persons blogs come up. It really is pretty cool.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I've been playing with the AAC blogs feature again, it is amazing how many different ways people are using this function. I'm using it to help display and offer whatever I'm doing in electronics, and I have organized them into sections with hypertexting (I think I have used that word in a sentence correctly).
Agreed Bill. Btw, wouldn't it be hyperlinking? Anyway...

I notice that there is a moderator function, which I have never used, but may start. If it works like I think it does, and no guarentees there, it allows a user to "own" a small piece of this website, with the real moderators approval. Coolness!

My last blog has a request to only post in the threads it points to, not of the blog itself. Hope I don't have to use it, but if someone can't help themselves (and there isn't a good reason) I may get to try out the delete post feature.
Yes, it does allow you to own a part of the site. We will not moderate or close blog posts other than those that breach the general rules of the site. Your blog is yours.

The control aspects of each blog are available from the control panel at the bottom of the new blog post window:

The Options panel gives you control over how the blog functions. If you want to use the blog for just posting a list, as you have done Bill, just uncheck the Allow comments to be posted option. This disables comments from everyone except the blog owner and moderators/admins. Obviously, if you have requested no one posts comments, then the mods/admin will honour that.

You can also moderate all comments before they go live on the forums via the Moderate comments before displaying option. Each option has a [?] next to it that links to an explanation in the FAQ on how that option works.

I also notice there is a Blog Catagory feature, but I haven't quite figured it out yet. I'm missing where the function is to file it under a catagory.
Categories are for grouping similar blog entries together. For example, I write about features of AAC; therefore I have an All About Circuits category for keeping all them posts together. You can give the blog category a title and description, e.g. http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/blog.php?u=60&blogcategoryid=2

It is like a sub-blog in a blog.

For newbies that haven't figured out this feature off AAC look for the little blue number after the notation "Blog Entries:" right top of the post. Click on it and that persons blogs come up. It really is pretty cool.
We are currently working on improving accessibility to this part of the site - watch this space.

Dave

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thanks. How do I file a blog into a catagory? I'm missing it.

Do you think my blogs would fall into the catagory of AAC? I think so, but I'm not totally convinced.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Bill,

Categories are set by you for your individual blog. From the blogs home page there is a panel on the left-hand side titled Options, select Blog Control Panel. Now on the left-hand side you will see a new panel called Blog Categories - select that. From there you can add new categories to your blog.

Now when you post a new blog entry, if you scroll down to the Additional Options panel below where you write, you will see your categories list - use the check-box to select a category. When you post a blog entry it will add that entry to the selected category. Think of categories as like folders for your blog entries.

If you want to add existing entries to a category, then go to the blog entry, select Edit from the bottom right, and scroll down to the Additional Options panel where you can save the blog entry to a category.

Let me know if you have any issues. Its easy when you know how to do it.

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, I was thinking that there were pre existing catagories, but I can see how it is set. Unless you are generating a lot of blogs with different themes I don't see using catagories.

I added numbers to show the sequence my blogs should be displayed in, but as near as I can tell they are all created equal. Is there a way to have one blog be master over the others?

You've probably noticed my experiment in writing an article in the chat forum, then linking to it from my blog. If any of it can be rewritten for the eBook let me know. As near as I can tell I'm the first to use it like this.