AAC Blog feature

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Hypatia's Protege, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Hypatia's Protege

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Kind friends...

As per the constructive suggestion of another member (to wit: @tjohnson) it is my desire to include some of my future contributions to @Aleph(0) 's "EHT Power Supply Design And Construction" thread on my blog...

Inasmuch as I have no experience whatever with the blog feature I would greatly appreciate any assistance/input on the following points:

FWIW
    I have 'created' a test entry having the following address:
    http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/xfa-blogs/hypatias-protege.262666/

Please note: It is my desire that my blog's contents are searchable and available to even casual 'surfers'...

Questions:
    1) Are blog entries indexable by search engines (à la the public fora)?

2) Is there a means of access to the 'My attachments' feature as regards composition of blog entries?
    (Inasmuch as my blog entry{s} will contain images also present on the (associated) thread, It seems wasteful of AAC's resources to upload said images twice...)

3) It is my desire that the blog is open to full participation by everyone -- and, if possible, jointly 'owned' by @Aleph(0) and myself --- Although I've entered Aleph(0) to the "list of specific people"
    I am concerned said action may have inadvertently restricted all access to she and I alone? -- Inasmuch as I may be out of contact with her prior to tomorrow (Monday) I have not been able to verify this... (thoughts?) --- Failing this is there any method (short of 'handing out my password') of granting equal control of my blog to another member?...

ADDENDUM: How do I permanently/completely delete "removed" entries?

Apparent difficulties:
    4) I seem to have inadvertently created two identical 'category tags' (specifically "EHT/X-Ray") although I may clear the 'check box' on the duplicate category there seems no method for deletion of same?

5) Unless logged in: I can't seem to find a link to the 'blogs page' (may owe to my unfamiliarity with the default [i.e. 'Orange'] style) -- Moreover, although navigating to the above address 'locates' my blog, I am unable to view its contents (unless logged in) --- IOW: How do I establish/assure guest access to my blog? --- NOTE: While I expect that guest access restrictions in regard to viewing attachments and posting are applicable to blog entries, I cannot, under the stated conditions, view any blog content whatever...

Any advice (and forbearance with my slow-wittiness:oops:) will be greatly appreciated! -- Thank you!!!:):):)

Best regards
    HP

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  2. Aleph(0)

Mar 14, 2015
    HP I say here like on thread blog is two separate things from link here and from alerts and not nice intuitive:( If you want I don't care about half ownership the blog at all but I like thread most cause straightforward friendly use! Not so bad cause no replies about it on here mean we're not only confused about use blog ha ha!:D

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Blogs are handy, I also use them to link to threads I work on.

Wendy's Blog

Wendy's Index

The formatting for blogs has gotten a bit problematic, so I am tending to move towards threads and use my moderator privileges, hence the index. That used to be my blog.

Hypatia's Protege likes this.
  4. Hypatia's Protege

Mar 1, 2015
    That would be issue of my inability to totally delete "removed" blogs:mad:

That may simplify matters -- Know, however that, as a practical matter, you and I will have 'joint ownership' inasmuch as all blog activity will be as per your approval! --- It is your topic after all:)

My (first) impression also -- 'Tho I've got to wonder if perhaps I'm misapprehending the purpose/intent of the blog feature?:confused:

Patience! -- It's Sunday!:D:D:D

Best regards
    HP

5. Hypatia's Protege

Mar 1, 2015
    @Wendy When you get a chance could you please expand on that? I seem to be the proverbial 'babe in the woods' as regards this feature:confused:

My primary questions at this time being:

How do I totally delete 'removed' blog entries (such that they are inaccessible via links to same)
    How do I delete inadvertent duplicate 'category tags'
    How do I access the 'My Attachments' feature while composing a blog entry

Again no rush!:)

Advance thanks for any help with these issues!:D

Best regards
    HP

6. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    Sorry for my delayed reply. I don't check the forums on Sunday.
    That's actually why I recommended that you post your instructions on your blog, since I think it placing them there would make them more easily found by anyone even via a search engine.
    Yes, unless if you make them private.
    If you've already uploaded the images and have URLs for them, you can use the Insert Image button to add them to your blog entry. It sounded like you were intending to post your instructions both in your OT thread and in a blog entry. I would suggest against this duplication. It would be simpler to post a blog entry, and then post a link to it in your OT thread.
    I can't see the blog entry that you posted, but that may be because you removed it. Although you can't give equal control of your AAC blog to another member, Aleph(0) will be able to view and comment on your post if the permissions are set correctly.
    I've run into this problem before too. There is a button to delete a removed entry, but it doesn't do anything when I click on it so I assume it's intended to only be used by moderators. This seems like a bug, as either standard members shouldn't see this button or else it should work for us. If you want an entry to be completely deleted, I would think you can ask a moderator to do so.
    Sorry, can't answer this one. I've used tags in my photo gallery, but not in my blog.
    When you create an entry, you should see options to "Allow all comments" and choose who can view your entry. The default option, "All visitors", is the one that you want, and should make your post viewable to anyone.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  7. Hypatia's Protege

Mar 1, 2015
    @tjohnson --- Many thanks for your comprehensive reply!:)

Sounds like a plan!!!;):cool:

Thus it seems I had inadvertently created a private blog restricted to Aleph(0) and myself -- I believe I've opened it to everyone now? - Should you care to have a look you should see the blog title, a single entry = "blog under construction" and one comment by Aleph...?

Thank you! I may well take that advice at such time as I 'get the feel' of the blog feature --- Moreover I want @Aleph(0) to know I have no desire to abandon the thread against her wishes! (good students are hard to find!:))
    For the immediate future my plan is to finish the 'tutorial' then copy it to the blog en masse such that it is not 'date fragmented'....

Here's a crazy deal -- Although the blog was inaccessible to anyone apart from Aleph and myself it nonetheless garnered 31 views (according to the counter)!?:confused:
    Perhaps attempts to view blogs increment the tally?

Again many thanks for your kind assistance and helpful suggestions!:) -- Please let me know whether the blog is now visible to you?

Very best regards
    HP

8. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    That sounds like a good idea to me.
    While your post was still private, I could view your blog and see that the number of entries was 1, but your blog showed as a blank page because I didn't have permissions to view it.
    I checked it a little while ago and could view your test entry. You should have received a notification about a comment from me.:)

9. Hypatia's Protege

Mar 1, 2015
    Indeed I did! Looks great -- again, many thanks!:)

Best regards
    HP

10. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    I just noticed something odd:
    comments_count.png

11. Hypatia's Protege

Mar 1, 2015
    lets see, as it stands, in chronological order:
    Comments by:
    1) Aleph
    2) You
    3) Myself (in response to your comment)

Oh! I get it! -- I posted then later deleted a comment while 'exploring' the blog feature... Thus it seems two counters are active?:confused: For the life o' me I don't know why XenForo didn't merely implement the blog feature as a user created/moderated forum -- seems that's what it tries to be?

Best regards
    HP:)

12. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    I've been told that the counters on this site are only updated periodically and have observed this myself as well, so the seeming discrepancy is hopefully only temporary and makes sense to me now. Regarding the blog feature, it's implemented through a XenForo add-on and isn't part of the core forum software.