AA type battery drop

pazpaz

Joined Nov 14, 2013
Hello all,

I am using 2 batteries of duracell of AA type in my circuit
ratings are 1.5v each with 1500mAh
circuit sleep current is 0.04mA
i want to calculate how much voltage drop will occur in a day.
please guide me how do I calculate per day voltage drop of battery is circuit is in sleep mode for 24hr

regards

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The battery will operate for 1500mAh / .04mA = 37,500 hours or 1562 days until end of life. If you assume an end life voltage of 1V then the voltage drop per day is 0.5V / 1562 = 0.32 mV per day on average for a linear drop. In reality the initial drop per day when the battery is fresh will likely be somewhat less than that and the drop close to the end of life will be more.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello all,

I am using 2 batteries of duracell of AA type in my circuit
ratings are 1.5v each with 1500mAh
circuit sleep current is 0.04mA
i want to calculate how much voltage drop will occur in a day.
please guide me how do I calculate per day voltage drop of battery is circuit is in sleep mode for 24hr

regards
Could you tell us WHY this is important? A daily voltage drop is not a consistent value on a battery. For example, if you have a high current draw for a short time, then let the battery 'recover', the electrochemical battery will have time for ion transport and diffusion of various reaction/oxidation reactions and soon show a higher voltage than right after the load was removed. Again, if you tell us what you are trying to do, maybe we could confirm you are on the right path or we could suggest an alternative path.

Cheers

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Hello,
thanks for reply. Can you tell me how you got 0.5V?
regards
You have to stop trying to use a dead battery somewhere, so crutschow just made an educated guess (or looked on a chart somewhere) that you might choose, "end of useful life" to be 1.0 volts. You can choose a different voltage if it is appropriate to the circuit.

MagicMatt

Joined Sep 30, 2013
It's going to be affected by temperature etc. too - there's not a "per day" drop, because the drop isn't linear either... if anything, it's more of an S shape... initially drops quick, levels off for a bit, then starts to drop quickly again. Trying to look at a voltage drop per day just isn't useful, since it will also vary slightly between batches of batteries, actual capacity (which is never exactly what's on the packet - that's an average).