AA batteries to charge Li ion battery

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Lightening, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Lightening

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 7, 2013
    I am very new to circuits, I am trying to charge my 3.7v li ion cell phone battery directly with AA batteries. My mini usb port tabs broke off in my phone. I have 4 new AA batteries, AAA batteries, breadboard, wire, assorted resistors, capacitors and diodes, electrical tape, solder gun, solder and flux. I am not able to access any shops for a couple weeks and I need the phone now? :)

Any help would be very much appreciated

2. bance

Aug 11, 2012
    Be careful with lithium cells......

HTH Steve.

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    A MacGyver challenge!

Can you identify the pinout of the conductors on your battery pack? I mean, by Blackberry battery has 4 pins and I have no idea what they are. Your first challenge is to figure that out. You can't connect anything to that pack without knowing what the pins are.

Personally I think your odds of success are low. Unless my life depended on it, I might choose to enjoy some time off without my phone.

4. Lightening

Oct 7, 2013
    Macgyver Yes! it is a samsung galaxy note 1 battery, there are 3 connection posts the + is on the right the - is on the left but what is the middle? i don't mind buying a new battery if have to when i get to it.

5. Lightening

Oct 7, 2013
    I read if I don't follow current and voltage limitations the battery can explode, how likely is this?
    Maybe i can put 2 AA batteries in series to make 3v and my lithium battery is 3.7v at 2500mAh, would it be dangerous to try to hook up the series AA direct to the + and - ports on the Li ion? trickle charger?

6. bance

Aug 11, 2012
    Check out Dave Jones's tutorial.

HTH Steve.

7. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    You need more than 3.7V to charge a 3.7V battery. But, as you are now aware, charging Li batteries can be dangerous if not done properly.