A website i made for a school project

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by resicalc, Aug 5, 2016.

1. resicalc

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Hello,

This is the first time a post something here, its a very nice place for finding usefull things about electronics.

For a school project i made a website that calculates the value of resistors.

www.resicalc.com

I would like your opinion

Many Thanks,
    Alex

2. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    Good job. Very cleanly done, and it works!

3. resicalc

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Many thanks, i will try evolve the capabilities of the site ;)

4. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Why not then, adding calculation of the equivalent of resistors in parallel? Two or more.

5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    It works on my iPhone.

Are you looking for potential improvement suggestions?

6. paulktreg

Distinguished Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Bit of a jump?

Did you even look at the website?

7. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    I think the drop-down should not reset to "None" when Submit is pressed to make the calculation. The selected values should remain on the four drop-downs.

Also, the text value should be cleared as soon as a user changes a value in a drop down to avoid any confusion. The changed value could be confused with the written value if the written value is not cleared (or immediately updated when a drop-down is changed).

This doesn't make sense to me, it is not as helpful as if the selected values would remain visible. Note, I use iPad safari - it may remain on other browsers/OS combinations.
    image.jpg

8. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Nice.

A couple of suggestions.

After someone calculates a value, leave their choices up there so that they can still see them. This is helpful if they get a result they weren't expecting since they can verify that they entered the values they meant to.

You need to validate the entered data. For instance, if I select the "Four band" option and enter None-Brown-Black-Brown, I get back "1 OHM, TOLERANCE: 1%". But that is incorrect and almost certainly should have been entered as Brown-Black-Brown-None. So you can check for first band being None (or anything but the last band in the case of a four band and any band in the case of the higher band count) and post an error.

GopherT likes this.
  9. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Sorry, I do not understand the bit thing.

I visited the site. Did I miss any option to calculate what I am suggesting?

10. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    No, I think Paul was thinking your suggestion was a significant leap from the OP's simple web-tool.

11. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    I see. Gracias Gopher.

12. samalex

Oct 9, 2015
    Good work.

13. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    It's really simple and cute- refreshing change from feature overloaded bloatware.