A small simple circuit to get 5 volts from 230 volts mains.

simmi

Joined Dec 29, 2009
Wow. Didn't expect so many people to respond.

I have a surplus of phone chargers and small power supplies for all kinds of things so I guess gutting one of them is my best option.

ErnieM: I meant wireless operated. Thought that would be clear. It is for those days when the fan is on and I want to go to sleep but do not want to get up to turn it off. A dilemma I experience way too often. Same with the light but that is another story. Yes, I am lazy.

tcmtech: when it is warmer outside than inside then an open window will not do much good. Unless you get draft, of course. I have a fan, I like to tinker with electronics, so why not make a wireless operated fan :)

Picbuster: Looked at the datasheet and example circuits for the lnk304gn. This is kinda what I was looking for in the beginning but damn it is a complicated support circuit and I am not at all interested in such complicated things. Ripping open a wall mart should suffice :D

dannyf: I am not sure I get your comment about cooling or cooking. Cooking as in electrocuting myself by tinkering with mains? Not sure I got that joke.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
The winner is: ripping open one of the many power supplies I have already and using the guts to power my circuit.

Cheers!

simmi

Joined Dec 29, 2009
KMoffett: It has already been suggested.
Also, you make some assumptions which are incorrect.
1. Cheap, sure. If you live in the states.
2. That the fan has no settings for speed.

"Or for others.." Not sure what that is supposed to mean but it kinda sounds like you are trying to insult me :D

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Simmi,
1. We have no idea where in the world you live, so we can't compensate for availability there, in our suggestions. We also have no way of knowing how much you would be willing to spend.
2. ??? The switch I linked to is just On/Off. Not a speed selector.
3. "Or for others" just means you can Google "remote power switch" for other possible remote switches that might better meet your needs.

Ken